Whether be a potluck or picnic, Dulce De Leche Thumbprint Cookies makes quite a statement. These eye-catching treats are decadently delicious and almost too beautiful to eat!!
If you are searching for an egg-free thumbprint cookie recipe, then look no more. These Dulce De Leche Thumbprint Cookies made with just six simple ingredients has your name written all over it.
These shortbread kind-of cookies are light, buttery and utterly delicious. A yummy treat that everyone will love and appreciate.
Thumbprint cookies are a favorite in my family. They are packed with goodness and will melt away in your mouth with every bite. The topping in the center adds an extra layer of flavor that makes these cookies even more irresistible.
WONDERING WHAT DOES DULCE-DE-LECHE MEANS?
The word Dulce de Leche stands for-
- Dulce – sweet
- De – of
- Leche – Milk
All together it means ‘a dessert prepared by caramelizing sugar in milk.’ Its origin dates back to 1829, and is said that Dulce de Leche originated in Argentina. It’s pronounced as – Dool-seh-deh-leh-cheh.
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!
These Dulce De Leche Thumbprint Cookies is a pretty straightforward recipe and requires no fancy equipment. Combine all the ingredients listed under ‘dry and wet ingredients’ and make a soft dough.
Using a cookie cutter create the desired cut-out. Shape as a circle and make an indent or thumbprint in the cookie using a rolling pin. Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
This step is important. Please do not skip this step.
WHY CHILL THE DOUGH BEFORE BAKING?
Cookie dough that is chilled before baking –
- will retain their shape much better and
- butter will not melt as soon as the cookies hit the oven.
Whereas, an un-chilled dough will make the cookies to spread causing a distorted shape. So, chilling a cookie dough is an essential step.
After the dough is chilled, bake as directed. These cookies bake beautifully. Allow them to cool completely before you advance to the next step.
Once cooled, get creative and top these off with your favorite filling – strawberry tastes good too.
Filing adds a beautiful contrast to these rich and buttery cookies. As a bonus – these melt-in-your-mouth dulce-de-leche thumbprint cookies
- can be made ahead of time and
- makes a pretty festive season treat.
Wrap them as mini gifts, and these make a wonderful home-baked gift for a holiday cookie exchange. Guaranteed to make your holiday season all the merrier.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Dulce De Leche Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot flour or Cornstarch
- 1 cup Soften salted butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Fine Sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup Dulce De Leche
- Assemble ingredients.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients and set it aside. Purpose of sifting is to aerate the dry ingredients and mix them well.
- Combine sugar and soften butter in a mixing bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar....
- Until they are light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence and mix in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Soon everything will start to come together.
- And it will form an uneven dough.
- Work the dough with your hands for couple of minutes and make a soft dough ball.
- Spread the dough on a clean surface.
- Use a cutter to shape cookies out of the dough.
- All done.
- Transfer all the cookies on to a baking tray.
- Using the back of the rolling pin, make an indent/thumbprint in the center of each cookie. Chill the cookies for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven @350 degree F. Bake these chilled cookies for 14-16 minutes. Waiting for it to bake is the hardest part.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Spoon the topping into a pastry bag. Cut open the pastry bag at the end and fill each cookie indent with the topping.
- Serve and enjoy!!