A make ahead mawa burfi recipe that’s is topped with a rich layer of chocolate and sprinkled generously with pistachios for an extra crunch. Incredibly easy to make and satisfy’s your chocolate craving in no time!
With Janmashtami just a day away, families are busy preparing their favorite dishes and sweets for the occasion. Chocolate burfi recipe also referred to as chocolate mawa burfi is a delicious fusion of mawa layer (milk solids) and a chocolate layer cooked along with superfine sugar.
The best thing about this recipe is that it requires no special ingredients – just mawa, sugar, chocolate powder, cardamom and your favorite nuts. As you bite into it, chocolate burfi has a smooth and creamy texture and it kinds of melts in your mouth.
Without wasting any time, I’m going to get right to the recipe because I don’t want to stand between you and this delicious chocolate burfi. Nothing complicated, a simple and straightforward recipe.
RECIPE DETAIL – Prepare mawa or use store bought mawa for this recipe. Divide into two parts. Use the first part to make the base layer – mawa burfi. For that – combine sugar and mawa in a pan. As the sugar starts to melt, stir it frequently until it becomes dry and forms a thick dough. Remove from heat and stir in rose essence and cardamom. Pour into a prepared greased dish, cover and set it aside. Repeat the same process for chocolate burfi. Pour over the mawa layer, cover and refrigerate to set.
When its cooled and set, remove the tray from the refrigerator, cut into individual squares and enjoy!
This is a make ahead treat! Store it in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week or in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. Do give easy chocolate burfi a try and I hope you love it as much as we do!
Chocolate Burfi Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR GARNISH
- 3 tablespoon Crushed or chopped Pistachios
- 2 tablespoon Silvered Almonds
- 2 sheets Vegetarian silver sheets
- For the mawa layer - assemble ingredients.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add mawa.
- Add sugar.
- As the sugar starts to melt, stir it frequently until it becomes dry and forms a thick dough.
- Remove from heat and stir in rose essence and cardamom.
- Grease a tray or thali.
- Pour the mixture into the greased dish, cover and set it aside.
- Meanwhile heat 1 teaspoon ghee in a pan and add mawa.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Add coco powder, cardamom powder and mix.
- Cook until the mixture becomes dry and forms a thick dough.
- Pour over the mawa layer, generously sprinkle pistachios and silvered almonds on top. Cover and refrigerate to set.
- When its cooled and set, remove the tray from the refrigerator, cut into individual squares and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.