A low-carb, gluten-free and vegan bharwan mirchi recipe (stuffed peppers) that taste delicious and is so easy to make! It’s a fantastic side dish that will complement any main course!!
Everyone has their own way of making bharwan mirchi recipe (stuffed peppers) but when it comes to me, my favorite bharwan mirchi memories go back to my mom’s recipe, which is so simple and tastes absolutely scrumptious with just about anything. It’s a well-tested recipe that I have relished for years.
The best think about this hearty and filling recipe is that it’s prepared with basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand, is healthy and delicious and is not-so-spicy and yet so flavorful!!
RECIPE DETAIL – Let’s make the filling first. Prepared with roasted gram flour and seasoned with aromatic spices – the filling itself is so delicious on its own and it becomes all the more delicious once its stuffed into green peppers and cooked to perfection. A very versatile filling, so feel free to play around with the ingredients. You are more than welcome to add or subtract ingredients based on your liking.
MY MOM’S QUICK TIP – As kids, we used to eat the stuffing and discard the pepper skin because it tasted so bland. So my mom started to sprinkle the inside of the peppers with salt before stuffing. It makes a huge difference!
If you prefer smaller chilies, cut the peppers in half after stuffing. Cook until skin is tender and light brown in color. Pair it with your favorite dal and enjoy!! Do give it a try and I am sure you guys are going to LOVE these recipe.
If you happen to make this recipe, do leave a comment, and don’t forget to take a picture and send it to me on Facebook. I would love to see your yum creation!
Bharwan Mirchi Recipe
- 6-7 medium size Big Green Chilies
- 3/4 cup Besan (Chickpea flour/ Gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder) or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1.5 teaspoon Fennel seeds Powder
- 1 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- A pinch of Hing (asofetadia)
- 1/2 teaspoon Rai (Mustard seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds , crushed
- 2-3 teaspoon Water
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil to cook chilies
- Clean and wash peppers.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and as it starts to crackle...
- Add besan, red chili powder and haldi (turmeric).
- Mix and cook for 10-15 minutes on a medium low flame. Besan will start to get a deep golden color and emit a pleasant, nutty aroma.
- Take it off the flame and mix in rest of the spices..
- Mix until well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Allow it to cool before stuffing the peppers.
- Make a lengthwise slit in chilies, remove the seeds and membranes and discard. Sprinkle salt on the inner membrane of the peppers. Add 1-2 teaspoon of water to besan mixture to bind the mixture and stuff the chilies. Curd can be used as a substitute for water.
- Add chilies to a pan and cook until light brown in color.
- Cooked chilies.
- Pair it with your favorite dal and enjoy!!
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.