Whole baby potatoes cooked in a lusciously creamy and fresh cashew sauce is a family-friendly weeknight dinner. This vegan and gluten-free Instant Pot Dum Aloo recipe is super tasty, and makes a great leftovers lunches.
Pair it with cumin rice and Instant Pot Spinach dal and enjoy all the rave reviews.
Among all the varieties, my favorite way to eat a potato is when it’s cooked in a curry and not just any curry, it has to be Dum Aloo curry.
Variations of Dum aloo!
In India, there are many varieties of this famous vegetarian delicacy (Dum aloo), and some popular ones are listed below. All the variations are equally delectable and taste amazing!
- Kashmiri Dum aloo: This dish hails from the Kashmir region and is cooked just in yogurt and spices without onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Bengali Aloor/Alur Dum: A spicy Bengali delicacy that is cooked in mustard oil along with onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
- South Indian Dum aloo: Another spicy dum aloo creation from the south that uses coconut and curry leaves in the sauce along with onions and tomatoes.
- Mughlai Dum aloo: Mughlai style dum aloo uses poppy seeds for a rich and creamy texture along with onion- tomato sauce.
- Bharwan Dum aloo: Paneer stuffed potatoes in an onion-tomato based sauce.
But the one that I am sharing with you today is a Punjabi Dum aloo recipe made in the Instant Pot.
This Punjabi Dum aloo recipe is a hearty and wholesome curry that is a bit subtle but has a smooth yet creamy texture all because of cashew nut-based sauce. The addition of cashews truly elevates the dish to another level.
What does Dum Aloo mean?
The word ‘Dum‘ means ‘air-cooked or baked under pressure’ and ‘Aloo‘ means Potatoes.
The term belongs to the cooking technique Dum Pukht where dum means ‘air-cooked or baked’ and Pukht means ‘cook’.
This method of cooking dates back hundreds of years. In this method, veggies or meats secret their juices into the dish resulting in a rich and fragrant dish.
What makes this Instant Pot Dum aloo Recipe so good for you?
This Dum aloo will provide you with healthy nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and manganese, all that your body requires. The ingredients that make up this recipe are –
- Baby Potatoes – low in calories and an excellent source of vitamins C, B6, and manganese.
- Whole spices – Please do not skip the whole spices. The use of whole spices is highly recommended because they impart a wonderful flavor to the sauce.
- Onion-garlic-ginger and tomato gravy
- Cashew paste – The cashews make the gravy amazingly smooth, velvety, and creamy. It also lends a slightly nutty flavor to the gravy.
- Aromatic Spices like turmeric, red chili powder, dried fenugreek leaves, cumin seeds, coriander powder, fennel seeds, and garam masala powder.
This vegan Instant Pot Dum aloo will fill your kitchen with a mouth-watering aroma that will make everyone come running to the kitchen for food.
How to make Instant Pot Dum Aloo Recipe?
This recipe is pretty straightforward where baby potatoes are first pan-sauteed until light brown and later simmered in a cashew-tomato infused based gravy, allowing the potatoes to soak up all the goodness from the sauce.
1. Cook the potatoes on HIGH until light brown.
2. Remove from oil and set it aside.
3. Add black cardamom, whole red chilies, and cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds.
4. When the cumin seeds start to crackle, stir in the minced garlic, ginger paste, and pureed onion.
5. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pureed tomatoes to the cooked onion paste.
6. Stir in the spices and cashew paste. Mix it well. Let it sauté for 2 minutes, and now it’s time to add dried fenugreek leaves. My version of sauce uses cashew nut paste to provide a creamy texture to the sauce.
TIP – However, if you prefer a nut-free sauce/gravy then add yogurt or cream to the sauce. After the cashew paste is added, the sauce needed to be cooked well.
7. Keep stirring occasionally and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the oil starts to float on top. Before adding potatoes, make sure the oil floats to the top of the sauce/gravy. If rushed, you will end up with an uncooked taste of tomatoes in the sauce/gravy.
8. Return the baby potatoes to this thick sauce/masala and coat it thoroughly in the sauce. Pour in the water and mix to combine. Close the lid and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 7 minutes. After the Instant Pot beeps, allow the steam to release naturally (NPR).
Adjust consistency and enjoy with some cumin rice!
Cooking Tips, Faq’s and variations for a perfect Dum aloo Recipe!Make-Ahead Dinner!
- What kind of potatoes should you choose for Dum aloo recipe? For this recipe, I have used Yukon gold baby potatoes. These baby potatoes have medium starch in them, and when cooked in a sauce/curry, they impart a nutty flavor, which is just perfect for this recipe.
- How to check which baby potatoes are good? When selecting the baby potatoes, choose the ones that are firm and have no shriveled skin or sprouting eyes on them. You can use baby potatoes that are red or yellow kinds.
- Can’t find baby potatoes, no worries. Peel and cut large potatoes into 2-inch pieces and follow the recipe. If using potato wedges, please do a QPR. When the Instant pot beeps, do a Quick Pressure release and open the lid. Adjust consistency and enjoy!
- Can I make Dum Aloo recipe on a cook-top? Of course, you can! Here is a link to the cooktop, no onion no garlic version – https://www.ruchiskitchen.com/dum-aloo-recipe/
- Hosting a dinner party? No issues. This recipe can be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. The gravy will thicken up in the fridge, so adjust the consistency with 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes on a medium-low flame, and you are all set. Serve hot and enjoy the best tasting Dum aloo recipe with your friends.
- Non-vegans, feel free to substitute oil for ghee for a much deeper taste and flavor.
- Like it spicy, adjust the red chili powder or garam masala to suit your spice level.
- If you prefer a nut-free sauce/gravy then add yogurt or cream to the sauce.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
Craving for more, be sure to check out these other Instant Pot recipes –
Instant Pot Dum Aloo
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 10 – Baby Potatoes peeled and washed
- – – Cilantro Leaves
- Press the saute button on the instant pot. Once it displays hot, add oil and add peeled baby potatoes to the oil.
- Cook the potatoes on HIGH for 7-8 minutes until light brown. Remove from oil and set it aside.
- To the insert add black cardamom, whole red chilies, and cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds. (Step by step pics above in the main post)
- When the cumin seeds start to crackle, stir in the minced garlic, ginger paste, and pureed onion.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pureed tomatoes to the cooked onion paste.
- Stir in the spices and cashew paste. Mix it well. Let it sauté for 2 minutes, and now it’s time to add dried fenugreek leaves. Crush the dried leaves with your hand and add it to the cooking sauce/masala.
- Keep stirring occasionally and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the oil starts to float on top – meaning: all the liquid will evaporate by now, spices are cooked well, and bubbles will begin to form over the masala/sauce. Soon you will start to see a thin layer of oil floating on top of the masala/sauce.
- Return the baby potatoes to this thick sauce/masala and coat it thoroughly in the sauce.
- Pour in the water and mix to combine. (Step by step pics above in the main post)
- Close the lid and seal the pot. Cancel the ‘Saute‘ mode and press the ‘Manual or Pressure Cook‘ button. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 7 minutes. Make sure that the pressure release valve is in place, and it is set to the Sealing position.
- After the Instant Pot beeps, allow the steam to release naturally (NPR). After the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
- Instant Pot Dum aloo is ready. Feel free to adjust the consistency to your liking.
- Serve the Instant Pot dum aloo hot with rice, roti or naan.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 347mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1002IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg