Crispy and crunchy Besan ka puda – Indian way of making pancakes by combining gram flour with fresh veggies and spices. Besan ka puda also referred to as besan ka cheela/chilla is one of the staple breakfast in many Indian household. I perked up this recipe by adding chopped spinach leaves and shredded carrots to the batter – what a healthy way to start the day. The best part is you can prepare this breakfast under 30 minutes and is quite filling and nutritious.
I can understand with everyone leaving the house at the same time 30 MINUTES for a breakfast seems like an impossible deal. To make this process quick – whisk the batter at night, cover and store in the refrigerator. Repeat the same with the veggies. In the morning just mix everything up and cook – don’t forget to add some water in the batter if it becomes thick and dense overnight. The batter should be of a dropping consistency – not too thick and not too thin. Above picture shows the front and the back side of cooked puda.
Above pudas have been prepared using a round mould. If using a mould follow the step by step recipe below. Since these were the part of my I CARE VALENTINE THEME I used a heart shaped cookie cutter to prepare these cuties. If using no moulds just spread them on a hot griddle and cook until crisp.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Besan ka puda
- 1 cup Besan (Chickpea flour/ Gram flour)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon Shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoon Chopped Spinach leaves
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Oil - for cooking 5 pudas
- Before we begin check all your ingredients.
- In a bowl combine besan with all the ingredients; leaving out oil.
- Firstly just add 1/2 water to make a thick batter and whisk it hard so that no lumps remain. Then add enough water to make the batter of a dropping consistency - not too dilute.
- Heat tawa/griddle and sprinkle some oil. Pour 2 tablespoon of batter on the hot tawa and spread it out like a dosa. On a medium low gas flame cook from either side till it is evenly brown and crispy.
- If using a heart shape mould or any kind of mould - follow the directions below. Grease the tawa and place a heart shaped cookie cutter on the tawa.
- Pour 1 tablespoon batter in the heart shape cutter.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Flip it over. Besan puda/chila will start to fall leaving the cutter edges.
- Using a knife loosen all the ends and puda/chila will fall in side the cutter frame.
- Using a tong lift away the cutter.
- There you have a perfect heart shaped besan puda/chila.
- Repeat the process with rest of the batter if you want to make it the same way.
- Flip and cook from the other side applying 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.