Do you like savory crepes for breakfast? Then, I bet you are going to love this Besan ka puda recipe. Besan ka puda is spiced Indian chickpea crepes that are often served for breakfast or brunch. These crepes are high in protein, low-fat, and a perfect way to start your day.
Plus, they are naturally vegan, gluten-free, kid-Friendly, and packed with tons of delicious flavors!
If you are like me who loves protein in your morning breakfast, then Besan ka puda is an excellent choice.
Packed with the goodness of vegetables and mild spices, it will leave you satisfied and energized all day long.
In addition to that, this low-effort instant breakfast recipe is completely customizable and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
What is Besan ka puda?
Besan ka puda a.k.a besan ka chilla is a savory Indian crepe. It is also referred to as a vegetable omelet.
You are probably wondering – a vegetable omelet? Does that even exist? Oh, yes, it does!
It is a veggie version of an omelet where eggs are swapped with gluten-free chickpea flour.
Later chickpea flour is combined with healthy vegetables and aromatic spices to create a protein-packed morning meal!
This recipe is perfect for all those who follow a gluten-free diet.
Other versions of Chilla (crepes)
Chilla is not limited to just chickpea flour. There are many gluten-free versions and alternatives to chickpea flour that are equally comforting and tasty.
Some tested and tried yummy alternatives are –
- Oats chilla – swap chickpea flour with an equal amount of oats flour.
- Lentil chilla – this one is my favorite. Here split moong beans with skin are soaked, pulsed, and then combined with ingredients to form a delicious puda.
- Semolina chilla – another favorite where chickpea flour is swapped with semolina
- Quinoa chilla
Do you make other varieties of chilla? Do share in comments with me. It’s always good to learn about different variations.
Ingredients that make up this Besan ka puda recipe?
The recipe is super-easy-to-make and doesn’t require any skills. All you need is some basic ingredients like –
» Chickpea flour – The star ingredient. Chickpea flour is also known as besan, gram flour, or garbanzo bean flour. It’s naturally gluten-free and dense in texture. A great source of protein and fiber too.
» Onions – for extra crunch and flavor.
» Carrots, spinach, red bell pepper – I have perked up this recipe with healthy and nutritious fillings.
» Seasonings – salt, pepper, cumin powder, and coriander powder.
» Cilantro Leaves – is the flavor booster.
» Water – liquid to bind the ingredients.
How to make Besan ka Puda recipe?
1. Add chickpea flour (besan) to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add in all the other ingredients – onions, fresh spinach leaves, carrots, red bell pepper, coriander leaves, cumin powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
3. Mix well until combined.
4. Slowly pour in water, whisking all the time to make a smooth lump-free batter.
5. Before cooking, allow the besan puda batter to rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the skillet.
6. Grease the skillet with oil. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet and spread it around. Cook on a medium-low flame until the bubbles cover the besan cheela surface, about 2 minutes.
7. Gently run a spatula under the besan cheela. Make sure it is not stuck to the pan and then flip it over.
8. Cook until the other side is lightly browned. Remove and serve. Repeat until all the batter is used.
Cooking Tips to make the best Besan ka Puda or Besan Chilla recipe
» Batter Consistency – Add water slowly. You may not need all the liquid mentioned in the recipe to make a smooth batter. The batter should be of thick dropping consistency.
» For that tangy taste in the crepes, you can sub water for buttermilk.
» Likewise, I have used the blend of cumin powder, salt, pepper, and coriander powder in this Besan ka puda recipe. But, feel free to tailor the recipes to suit your preferences.
For more flavor, cook these besan ka pudas in coconut oil or homemade ghee.
» For smaller crepes, spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot skillet.
» Always cook besan ka puda on medium-low heat. Cook the first side until bubbles start to appear.
» Flipping the crepes is the main step. Do not flip too soon. The batter is going to show signs. When you start to see small holes in the crepes, run a spatula all around the edges, and loosen the crepe. Now, gently slide the spatula under the crepe and flip it over.
» These crepes were cooked in a nonstick skillet; therefore, less oil was used. But if cooking in a regular pan, you may need extra oil to cook the crepes.
» Leftover besan chilla can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Now for some Faqs
» What other vegetables can I use in the Besan ka puda recipe?
This Besan chilla is a very forgiving recipe. I opted for spinach, carrots, and red bell pepper, but feel free to swap with whatever veggies you have on hand. Some yummy ideas include –
- Leafy greens- kale, mustard greens.
- Vegetables – tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, scallions (green onions), green chilies, and more.
- Spices – red chili flakes, garlic powder, carrom seeds, and more.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients and make this recipe your own.
» Can you make this besan ka puda batter in advance?
Of course, you can! Combine everything a night before and store it in the fridge.
By the morning, the batter may appear thick. Add a few tablespoons of water and mix – cook as directed.
You should definitely try this besan puda recipe, and I am sure you are going to love it.
Let me know in the comments when you make it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
CRAVING FOR MORE, TRY MY OTHER FLAVOR-PACKED Breakfast RECIPES –
Besan ka puda
- 1½ cup Chickpea flour (besan)
- ½ small Onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons Carrots shredded
- ¼ cup Spinach leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons Red Bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil to cook the cheela
- ¾ cup Water add a tablespoon more if needed
- Add chickpea flour (besan) to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in all the other ingredients – onions, fresh spinach leaves, carrots, red bell pepper, coriander leaves, cumin powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mix well until combined.
- Slowly pour in water, whisking all the time to make a smooth lump-free batter.
- Before cooking, allow the besan puda batter to rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the skillet.
- Grease the skillet with oil. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet and spread it around. Cook on a medium-low flame until the bubbles cover the besan cheela surface, about 2 minutes.
- Gently run a spatula under the besan cheela. Make sure it is not stuck to the pan and then flip it over.
- Cook until the other side is lightly browned. Remove and serve. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve hot!