There is just one week left for Navratri and today I am sharing a super easy and flavorful recipe- Vrat Jeera Aloo. This recipe needs no introduction. Boiled and cubed potatoes are sauteed with cumin seeds and flavored with other spices. Jeera aloo or vrat ke aloo are usually paired with pooris to form a complete meal. These potatoes are cooked without onion and garlic and enjoyed during fasting times like Navratri , Mahashivratri and other Indian festivals.
Jeera aloo are seasoned with Sendha namak also referred to as Vrat salt (picture shown below). Regular salt is avoided during fasting period. Along with Sabudana tikki and Sabudana Khichdi this too is a the most relished fasting dish. Improvise this recipe by adding green chilies and fennel seeds (saunf). If you eat amchur masala (mango powder) during vrat then sprinkle these potatoes for a tangy and chatpata flavor.This Navratri try out this simple yet delicious recipe with Rajgiri poori/Amaranth ki poori and if you are fasting for one day or for days it will surely keep you full for the rest of your day.
This fasting season try other vrat recipes – Sabudana Ladoo, Vrat Rajgiria Puri, Sabudana Uttapam, Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Roti, Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vrat Dosa, Sama ki Tikki or Sabudana Vada and more….
DISCLAIMER – If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during Navratri , feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
HAPPY NAVRATRI AND FASTING!!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Vrat Jeera Aloo
- 3 medium Boiled and cubed Potatoes
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder) (omit if you don't eat haldi in vrat)
- 1/2 teaspoon Rai (Mustard seeds) (omit if you don't eat in vrat)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Coarsely pounded coriander seeds (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes or Red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt to Taste (Sendha Namak)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Boil, peel and cube potatoes. Meanwhile assemble all the ingredients.
- In a pan heat oil. Add cubed potatoes and all the spices one by one.
- Mix in salt and chopped cilantro eaves.
- Give it a good mix.
- Enjoy it with vrat ki puri and vrat ki chutney.