A mouthwatering and delicious ladoos prepared with sesame seeds and jaggery. This festive season, enjoy a gluten-free and healthy Til Ke Ladoo Recipe. Very addicting and nutritious!Hindu festivals Lohri and Makar Sankranti are around the corner, and the markets are filled with sights of til sweets, peanut chikki, and gur/jaggery sweets.
Til and jaggery are an essential part of this festival. In winter months, til sweets are consumed to mark the harvest season around India.
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF SESAME SEEDS IN THIS FESTIVAL!
Whether you are celebrating the warmth of a bonfire (Lohri) or enjoying the kite festival (Makar Sankranti/Uttarayan) or just conveying greetings of Pongal – sesame seeds (til) and gur (jaggery) hold special significance during this festival.
Sesame seeds (til) and gur (jaggery) are the two most important foods that help-
- to keep the body warm in winters. Oil present in the sesame seeds helps generate body heat.
- increases immunity,
- promote health and longevity,
- likewise, jaggery contains iron, vitamin C which is a great remedy for respiratory disorders and throat problems.
So, here is a traditional recipe to celebrate the festival –Til Ke Ladoo Recipe.
Til ke ladoo recipe also known as TILKUT is prepared by combining gur, mawa, sugar, chopped nuts, desiccated coconut with toasted sesame seeds. Til (sesame seeds) has a nutty flavor that adds a delicious flavor and texture to these ladoos.
Besides flavor, sesame seeds have many health benefits due to its nutritional content.
How to make Til ke Ladoo?
This is a basic ladoo recipe that calls for dry toasting of sesame seeds and is later grounded to its powdered form. Toast sesame seeds to a point where they are lightly brown.
Just a note – overcooking will result in dark bitter tasting sesame seeds. So please maintain a low flame and keep stirring. Since I ran out of mawa, I have used ricotta cheese for this recipe.
But if you already have mawa, then skip this step. Follow this link to learn 6 ways of making mawa at home.
Add jaggery, cardamom, and nuts of your choice. Take it off the flame and allow it to cool.
When comfortable to touch, shape the mixture like ladoos and enjoy this healthy Til ke ladoo recipe.
Do give this recipe a try. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
Make Ahead Recipe!
You can make this ladoos a week in advance and since it’s winter these ladoos stays good at room temperature for 2 weeks.
Come celebrate the warmth of Lohri festival with these homemade sweets –
Sing and dance to the tunes of Sundar Mundariye hoye.. and celebrate the festive occasion.
HAPPY LOHRI, HAPPY MAKAR SANKRANTI, AND HAPPY PONGAL TO ALL !!
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Til Ke Ladoo Recipe
- 1.5 cups White Sesame Seeds (Til)
- 1/2 cup Mawa (or ricotta cheese)
- 3/4 cup Superfine Sugar (or use jaggery)
- 1/2 cup Desiccated unsweetend Cococut (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Gur or Jaggery (optional - adjust sugar accordingly)
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- Handful of Chopped nuts Cashews, almonds and Pistachios
- 3/4 cup Ghee
- Assemble all the ingredients. In a pan dry roast sesame seeds on a medium flame until light brown.
- Allow it to cool completely. Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom pan combine ghee and ricotta cheese. If you are using mawa skip this step. See the link above on how to make mawa at home.
- Keep stirring till ricotta cheese until it turns into mawa. Ground toasted sesame seeds to its powdered form. Set it aside. Once mawa is reduced in quantity, add gur and mix it well.
- Finally, add powdered sesame seeds to mawa and mix until well blended.
- Stir in cardamom powder, chopped nuts, and mix.
- Add sugar...
- Desiccated coconut, chopped pistachios, and mix.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool. The mixture will be moist enough to form ladoos. Shape them into golf sized balls.
- If you like, roll these ladoos in toasted sesame seeds...
- Til ladoos are ready. Store them in an airtight container and enjoy!!
- Good for 2-3 weeks at room temperature.