Panjiri recipe also referred to as Dabra is an excellent winter treat. This super-food is prepared with ghee, wheat flour, semolina and loaded with chock-full of healthy nuts. We are all familiar with Panjiri recipe. It is one of the heirloom recipes of our times. These family-favorite recipes are like treasures that have been passed down from generations to generations and holds so many precious memories and special moments.
Still, remember those days when my mom and grandmother prepared this panjiri recipe every winter and we as kids loved it. I still do. 🙂
Health Benefits of Panjiri!
Panjiri has many health benefits. Since it is heavily laced with dry nuts and unique blend of spices, it –
- helps to keep the body warm during winter months,
- it relieves minor aches and pains,
- is considered highly nourishing for a lactating mother,
- it provides all the essential nutrients required to gain strength after delivery.
So what are we waiting for, let’s take a look at this tasty and nutritious winter treat?
How to make Panjiri Recipe?
This traditional recipe is a staple in my house. With the onset of winters, I make a big batch of panjiri and it is relished throughout the cold season. Patience is the key to this recipe. Do not rush, cook with ease and you will love the combinations of flavors.
- Toast all the nuts except raisins. Toasting releases their essential oils and they taste so much better.
- Cook the goond (edible gum crystals) on a low flame. Cook until the sputtering stops and they are all puffed up.
- Semolina is optional. Feel free to leave that out.
- Powdered sugar can be substituted for jaggery.
- 1-2 tablespoon of Kamarkas ( sage herb or flame of the forest) is added to this recipe. Since I was out of it, I have skipped that.
These winters do give this family recipe a try, and I am sure you are going to love it.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
MAIN INGREDIENTS - MAKES 6 CUPS (APPX. 1.5kg ) OF PANJEERI
- 1 cup Slivered Almonds
- 3 tablespoon Eliachi Powder (Cardamon Powder)
- 1/2 cup Char Magaz (Mixed melon seeds)
- 1/4 cup Sliced Pistachios
- 2 teaspoon Ajwain/ Carom seeds
- 1 cup Goond (Edible gum crystals)
- 1 cup Dried Coconut Flakes
- 2 tablespoon Ginger powder or saunth
- 1 cup Sliced Cashews
- 1/2 cup Phool Makhane (puffed lotus seed or fox-nut)
- 3 tablespoon Chopped Walnuts
- 3-4 tablespoon Golden raisins
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Dry nuts. Pic is just for reference, not the actual measurements.
- Begin by roasting the nuts. Heat 2-3 tablespoon ghee in a pan.
- Add Makhane (puffed lotus seed or fox-nut).
- Cook until light brown in color. Remove from ghee and set it aside.
- Add goond (edible gum) and cook on a low flame.
- Goondh will puff up in ghee. Do not rush through this process. Allow it to puff completely. When the crackling stops, means it is cooked.
- Remove from ghee and allow it to cool. Transfer the cooled goondh to a grinder and coarsely grind it. Set it aside.
- Likewise dry roast all the nuts.
- Roast for a minute, remove from heat and set it aside. Save some of the dry-roasted nuts and grind it to its powdered form.
- Dry roast char magaz seeds ( mixed melon seeds) for a minute, remove from ghee and set it aside.
- Add sooji.
- Keep stirring and dry roast for a couple of minutes. When it starts to turn light brown in color remove from ghee and set it aside.
- Add the remaining ghee to the hot pan.
- Add wheat flour.
- Mix and cook on a medium-low flame, stirring continuously.
- Cook until the color changes to light brown in color and its aroma fills the room.
- Mix in previously roasted sooji.
- And cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and mix in jaggery.
- Start adding the toasted nuts one by one - raisins, charmagaz..
- Toasted coconut flakes and phool makhane (puffed lotus seed or foxnut).
- Mix in toasted dry nuts, cardamon powder, ajwain, and goondh.
- Grounded dry nuts.
- Mix it well.
- Feel free to adjust jaggery or sugar content to your taste.
- When completely cooled, store in airtight containers.
- Good for 4 months.