Til chikki or Sesame seeds Brittle is very popular treat made during Lohri and Makar Sankranti Festival. Gluten-free and can be Vegan too!
Lohri and Makar Sankranti are a few days away and Indian markets are flooded with pretty sights of gajak, popcorn, revari and chikkis – popular treats only winter can offer and a must- have at any Lohri celebration.
Lohri, the bonfire festival celebrates new beginnings and a time to appreciate the elements of nature for a great harvest season and prized crops.
How to make Tik ki Patti or chikki?
Sesame seeds also known as gingelly seeds are hot in nature and therefore used in winters to prepare sweets. Today recipe – Til and Gur Patti or til chikki recipe (Sesame seeds brittle) is prepared with sesame seeds and jaggery (gur).
It’s a pretty simple recipe – nothing complicated, under 30-minute recipe.
Dry roast sesame seeds in a heavy bottomed pan and keep a watchful eye, it should not burn. Coarsely grind the seeds. Prepare a thick jaggery syrup and mix in the sesame seeds. I like to keep my til patti on a thick side but feel free to make a thin spread. Let it cool, cut into squares and enjoy!!
Celebrate the warmth of Lohri festival with the sweetness of til patti,
Sing and dance to the tunes of Sundar Mundariye hoye..
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
Til and Gur Patti or til chikki recipe
- Assemble ingredients.
- Cardamom powder and Pistachios.
- In a heavy bottomed pan dry roast sesame seeds on a low flame.
- Roast until they turn light brown in color. Take it off the flame and let it cool.
- Transfer half of the sesame seeds to a blender and grind them coarsely in a mixer. Give it a single churn. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile combine gur, ghee, and water in a pan. Cook on medium-low heat stirring frequently, until the jaggery melts completely. Turn the heat to low.
- Add sesame seeds and...
- Cardamom powder and dry nuts. Mix well.
- Grease a plate with ghee and spread the sesame mixture. Spread the mixture in a thin layer. Pat the mixture with a spoon to form an even layer.
- Cut in squares or diamond shape while it is still warm. Let it cool completely and enjoy!! Store in an airtight container and is good for 2-3 weeks.