From the streets of Mumbai, I bring you a popular and famous lip-smacking, and delicious snack – Pav Bhaji Recipe. Where pav means bread and bhaji means a spicy blend of vegetables cooked in tomato based gravy and later flavored with aromatic spices. These two (Pav+bhaji) are paired and served together as one meal, it’s quite filling and everyone’s favorite. If you are from India or have been to Mumbai, you can easily associate to this dish. In the evening hours, air is filled with the aroma of Mumbai street food – pav bhaji, vada pav and many more.
My recipe is divided in two step- first is preparing and mashing the veggies and second step is giving these mashed veggies a tadka (tempering) and finally flavoring it with the main ingredient – Pav bhaji masala. The key to a perfect bhaji is to keep mashing the veggies all along the recipe. I have used whatever veggies I had on hand, but you can choose to add veggies of your choice. Save the water in which you are boiling your veggies, I have used that water throughout my recipe. Adjust pav bhaji masala as per one’s taste. Adding red chili powder or chopped green chilies is optional. If you like garlic then add it while preparing the tadka. Looking for a much healthier bhaji then skip butter and cook the whole recipe in oil.
Once the bahji is ready, top it with chopped cilantro leaves, chopped onions and some lemon juice and serve hot with pavs. YUMM!!
Pav Bhaji Recipe
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped Green capsicum
- 3/4 cup Boiled Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 10-20 pieces of Boiled baby carrots
- 2 large Boiled and Peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Butter/oil
- 1-3/4 cup Water (used leftover boiled water from the veggies)
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Peel boiled potatoes.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan.
- Add chopped capsicum and saute for a minute.
- Add boiled green peas..
- Add boiled carrots..
- Using a potato masher, start mashing up the veggies.
- Mash them until they look like a paste..
- Add tomato puree..
- And mix it well.
- This was the water collected while boiling peas and carrots.
- Slowly add 1/4 cup of water..
- And keep mashing them up..
- Add boiled potatoes..
- And mash them up too.
- Keep adding water and keep mashing the veggies. Set them aside.
- Prepare ingredients for tadka.
- Heat butter/oil..
- Add ginger paste and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onions...
- Saute until onions are translucent..
- Add chopped tomatoes..
- Add some water and ...
- Cover and cook until tomatoes are tender and soft.
- Uncover and start mashing up the tomatoes.
- Add Pav bhaji masala...
- Some more water..
- And mix..
- Keep mashing throughout the process..
- Mix in salt and some butter. As you can see I have added 1 teaspoon of extra butter to saute my tempering.
- Mix in red chili powder..
- Saute and mix until well blended.
- Finally mix in mashed boiled veggies that we prepared earlier..
- Mix and adjust seasonings.
- If you like add more butter, some lemon juice or garam masala. I chose to leave out the garam masala powder as pav bhaji masala itself was enough to bring out the flavor.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves and some finely chopped onions..
- Serve hot with homemade ladi pav or wheat pavs. Recipe mentioned above and ENJOY!!