Paneer Kali Mirch is a spicy yet delicious gluten-free dish made with aromatic spices. Pair it with homemade warm rotis or white rice to create a yummy wholesome meal tonight!
Paneer or cottage cheese is a staple in my household. Having it on the dinner menu once-a-week is a must. Brings an instant smile on everybody’s face. Besides being a universal favorite, it’s a great way to incorporate protein-packed paneer into our meal. Paneer Kali Mirch
The beauty of paneer is its muted flavor!
It has no substantial flavor of its own. In-fact, paneer has a unique quality of adopting the flavor of whatever its cooked with, making it an amazingly versatile and adaptive ingredient to experiment with.
You can cook all kinds of dishes with paneer. Be it the delectable –
- Methi Paneer recipe
- Kadai paneer
- Paneer ke sooley
- Paneer tikka masala
- Paneer croquettes
- Paneer pasanada
- Paneer burfi….. the list is endless!
Now onto the recipe!
Today’ recipe, Paneer Kali Mirch is very different than the other paneer recipes. It’s
- ready in less than an hour and
- makes a perfect lunch or dinner recipe!
For this recipe, paneer cubes are marinated briefly in thick yogurt and a blend of dry-roasted whole spices. Dry-roasted whole spices take this dish to a whole new level.
Meanwhile, a gravy is prepared using caramelized onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes. Later, marinated paneer is added along with spices and cooked with enough water to make a thick gravy. Paneer’s bland taste helps enhance all the other flavors in the recipe. Stir in cashew paste and you are all set!
An amazingly d-licious recipe is ready that goes very well with any Indian bread or steamed rice.
Paneer Kali Mirch a simple recipe that comes together very quickly and will surely please many eyes and palates on the dinner table. It tastes even better the very next day and makes a great lunch.
This recipe feeds 4 but can be doubled to feed more. Perfect for family dinners, social gatherings, and potlucks.
I hope you give this recipe a try and if you happen to make it then share your yummy creations with me @facebook or tag me by using the hashtag #ruchiskitchen (one word) on social media. Would love to hear back from you and would love to see your yummy pictures!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Are we friend's yet?
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Paneer Kali Mirch
SPICES FOR PANEER
- 2 pieces of Moti Eliachi (Black cardamom)
- 2 small pieces Mace (Javitri)
- 2-4 pieces of Cloves (Laung)
- 3 pieces of Green Cardamom (Hari eliachi)
- A stick of Cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Shahi Jeera (caraway seeds)
- 1 cup Thick beaten Curd
- 300 grams Paneer or Tofu
FOR THE GRAVY
- 2 pieces of Bay leaves (Tej patta)
- 7-8 pieces of Black peppercons
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Homemade tomato puree ( or chopped tomato)
- 3-4 pieces of Green Chilies
- 2-3 tablespoon Cashew Paste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Cream
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Freshly crushed Black peppercons
- 4 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to garnish
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/2 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pan add spices.
- Dry roast them for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame. Be careful not to burn them.
- Allow the spices to cool. Toss them in a grinder and grind until coarse. You can make the spices coarse or very fine.
- Cut paneer in cubes.
- Assemble the coarsely ground spices and curd.
- In a bowl, combine these two and make a thick paste.
- Add paneer cubes and coat it well. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy for paneer. Assemble ingredients.
- Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a pan. Add sliced onions and cook until slightly caramelized.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Take it off the flame and allow it to cool .
- When comfortable to touch, transfer onion mixture to a blender and blend it to a paste.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoon ghee to the pan. Add whole spices. When they start to crackle.
- Pour-in the pureed onion-ginger-garlic paste.
- Add green chilies and cook until the mixture starts to leave oil.
- Add tomato puree or chopped tomatoes and mix it well.
- Add spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cashew paste and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
- Cook until oil separates.
- Stir in marinated paneer.
- Mix until combined.
- Add garam masala and crushed black pepper.
- Pour in 3/4 cup of water and bring the gravy to a boil.
- Adjust gravy consistency according to taste.
- Serve hot with warm Indian breads and steamed rice.