Want to take a break from sweetened oats, then give this savory version a try. Oats, referred to as “Jaee” in Hindi are high in fiber, provide important proteins and are loaded with iron. It’s light and something that will keep you full until lunch.
Oats poha or savory oats hash is a heart- healthy breakfast recipe, quick and simple enough for a busy morning. Prepared with just basic ingredients, it’s a well-rounded one pot healthy breakfast recipe – ready in 15 minutes!
RECIPE DETAIL – Sprinkle oats with water until they are soft. Do not wash them, or you will end you with soggy oats. They should feel wet and soft. Set it aside and continue with rest of the recipe. I have used Old fashioned rolled oats for this recipe.
Meanwhile saute veggies of your choice until tender. Since its a breakfast recipe, I have kept it pretty simple. My choice of veggies is just a starting point but you are welcome to add more veggies, cashews, peanuts and improvise to your liking.
This recipe yields 4 modest servings but feel free to double the servings and enjoy it for lunch too.
Treat yourself to a healthy breakfast that will brighten up your morning. A perfect accompaniment to your morning tea. Easy to make, yummy and full of flavor!
While you are here, try other breakfast recipes –Bread Poha, Vermicelli upma, Matar poha, Gobhi Paratha, Pithi wala paratha, Methi ka paratha, Paneer paratha, Leftover dal paratha, cucumber tomato sandwich, spicy paneer sandwich or bean sandwich and many more recipes…
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
- 1.5 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon Roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped onions
- 1/4 cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/4 cup Frozen Peas
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped tomatoes
- 5-7 pieces of Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric OR Haldi
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Put oats in a colander
- Sprinkle oats with water until they are soft.
- It should be very quick, do not wash them or it will become soggy. Fluff it with a fork.
- Oats should feel soft, not mushy. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- As they start to crackle..
- Add chopped carrots and peas. Cook until tender.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add spices and mix it well.
- Add oats and..
- Mix until well blended.
- Adjust spices..
- Serve hot, sprinkled with sev and chutney of your choice.