Looking for a quick and easy breakfast recipe; here it is – healthy and yummy uttapams prepared with homemade uttapam mix. Savory Indian pancakes prepared with rice and lentil flour, topped with your favorite toppings is a perfect way to start your day!! No more soaking and grinding, just combine the flours, add spices, add buttermilk and whisk it up. Sprinkle your favorite toppings and enjoy!! A quick and easy way to put together a healthy breakfast in a jiffy and believe me it tastes D-licious. I always have this homemade mix ready in my pantry.
I have used buttermilk in this recipe but mix equal quantity of curd + water as a substitute for buttermilk. Same way add fresh ginger shreds instead of ginger powder. No curry leaves on hand substitute with chopped cilantro leaves. Once Eno has been added to the batter, start making uttpamas, this way they will puff up slightly. Like thin uttapams – swirl it couple of times until you reach the desired thickness. Likewise, if you like thick uttapams, then just pour the batter and give it a single swirl.
My little one will not eat uttapams with so many toppings. He likes his uttapam in the form of uttapa-MAN (pic below). 😉 Serve uttapams in this way and believe me it will bring a cute smile on your loved one’s face and lighten up their day. 🙂
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Instant Uttapam Recipe
- 2 cups Homemade Uttapam flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- 1.5 teaspoon Dry Ginger Powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds powder
- 6-7 leaves of Chopped curry leaves
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt (adjust accordingly)
- 1-1/2 cup Buttermilk (adjust accordingly)
- 1/4 teaspoon Eno (fruit Salt)
- 3/4 cup Oil to cook all the uttapams
- 1 cup Fine chopped Onions
- 1 cup Thinly shredded cabbage
- 1 cup Thinly shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- Chop and shred veggies of your choice.
- Measure two cups of homemade uttapam flour in a bowl.
- Add enough buttermilk..
- To make a not so thick batter.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Add all of them to the batter one by one.
- Add salt.
- And mix it well.
- Heat a griddle.. Add Eno...
- You will see and hear a fizz...
- Whisk it well.
- Assemble all the toppings.
- Grease the griddle.
- Pour two scoops of batter on the hot griddle. Just give it one swirl and spread it around. This one is a thin uttapam with couple of swirls.
- Drizzle few drops of oil.
- Sprinkle your favorite toppings. Cook on low flame for few seconds.
- Using a spatula gently press down on the topping so that they stick to the uncooked uttapam and don't fall off while flipping.
- Gently lift Uttapam.
- And flip it over.
- Cook until uttapam is cooked and veggies are crisp and light brown in color.
- Transfer it to a clean plate.
- Repeat the process with rest of the batter. This one is a thick uttapam with a single swirl and see how it puffed up slightly.
- Want to cook smiley uttapa-MAN? Pour some batter on the hot griddle. Spread it around. Using your toppings make eyes, nose and smiley lips.
- Press the toppings with spatula so that it sticks to the uttapam.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- Use ketchup to highlight the eyes and smiley lips.
- Complete the uttapa - man with cilantro hairs and serve.
- Uttapams are usually thick but if you like a thin base, swirl and spread it more.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutneys.