Thursday night and my meal plan say lentils with bharta, but my kids are in no mood to eat DAL!! With just 1 hour on hand, I go back in my kitchen looking for a quick fix. Opened my refrigerator and found some veggies, and the above picture reveals my mystery dish – it’s healthy veg manchurian recipe. So, I share with you a simple and somewhat spicy dish that is loaded with freshness of veggies and flavored with Chinese sauces.
Recipe begins with shredded cabbage + carrots formed as balls and later cooked in soy based sauce – a truly Asian inspired dish. Manchurian balls are usually fried but to give it a healthy touch I choose my appe pan and cooked these yummy dumplings in that, until brown. Second stage would be to prepare the gravy. I like my manchurian gravy to be crunchy and loaded with fragrant and flavorful veggies but if you like it less crowded, add less veggies. Adjust the chili garlic sauce according to one’s taste.
Manchurian gravy is usually on a slightly thick runny side and with the below mentioned proportions, manchurian gravy will become thick once cornflour is added. Add an extra 1/4 -1/2 cup of water to make it reach the consistency you like. If manchurian is allowed to sit for a while, the gravy will again thicken up so add water accordingly. For me it was 1/2 cup of water to give it that thick runny consistency.
Served veg manchurian recipe with steamed rice and every bowl was licked clean. 😉
Healthy Veg Manchurian Recipe
MANCHURIAN BALLS INGREDIENTS - MAKES 16-18 PIECES
- 2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 small Green capsicum, chopped
- 1 small Red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup Chopped spring onions
- 1-2 small Chili Garlic sauce
- 2.5 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar (optional)
- 2- 3 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a bowl add shredded cabbage, and carrots.
- Add rest of the ingredients one by one.
- Mix it well.
- Grease your hands and start forming small golf size balls.
- This batter will make 16 -18 manchurian balls.
- Grease a appe pan and place manchurian balls in each cavity.
- Flip and cook evenly from all the sides until golden brown in color.
- Another option would be to deep fry these manchurian balls. Once manchurian balls are ready set them aside.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a bowl add enough water to make a cornflour paste. Make sure there are no lumps in this paste. If some lumps are formed then strain it through a strainer. Set it aside.
- In a pan heat olive oil. Add ginger and garlic paste and saute for few seconds. Add green and red capsicum and saute for 2 minutes.
- Mix in 1/4 cup of spring onions and rest of the ingredients one by one leaving out cornflour paste. Save 1/4 cup of spring onions - use that to top the manchurian gravy.
- Pour in vinegar, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and mix.
- Add 3 tablespoon water and mix. Stir and pour in cornflour paste. Keep stirring, make sure no lumps are formed. With the above mentioned proportions, manchurian gravy will become thick once cornflour is added, add extra 1/4 -1/2 cup of water to make it reach the consistency you like. I prefer mine to be saucy so I added 1/2 cup of water.
- Add manchurian balls and simmer it for a while. Cover and let the manchurian balls soak in all the flavor.
- Before serving garnish manchurian with leftover 1/4 cup spring onions.
- Serve hot with warm rice or noodles of your choice.