It’s raining tonight and my taste buds are craving for some Greek food today – what could be better than Falafel stuffed in Pita bread pockets! Yum. Falafel is traditionally a Middle Eastern food where fried Garbanzo beans fritters is served with cucumber- yogurt sauce (tzatziki sauce). For this recipe garbanzo beans (safed chole) are soaked overnight and then boiled till tender. Do not overcook the beans as it may result into mushy falafel patties. Later boiled garbanzo beans are combined with onions, green chili, chopped cilantro and spices – then grounded to a smooth paste to form these delicious patties. These vegetarian fried fritters can be served in sandwiches paired with any greens – arugula, lettuce or spinach.
For Pita bread recipe start off with a layer of tzatziki sauce inside the pocket, then add falafel, shredded lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, some onion rings and to finish off with a generous layer of tzatziki sauce.
Traditionally, falafel patties are fried till they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside but I made a few variations and pan toasted my falafel patties. You can definitely give fried version a try. Hop on and let’s try these healthy protein rich Falafel stuffed in Pita pockets recipe today!!
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Falafel stuffed in Pita pockets
ASSEMBLING FALAFEL INGREDIENTS
- 4-6 nos. Pita bread
- 1 cup Tzatziki Sauce
- 3/4 cup Chopped Cumcumber
- 3/4 cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small Onion rings
- 1.5 cup Shredded Lettuce
- 9-10 nos. Falafel
- Let's begin with preparing falafel for pita bread. Assemble all the ingredients. If you are using store bought Garbanzo beans, drain it out and wash it thoroughly under water.
- Combine garbanzo beans, onions, green chili, chopped cilantro and spices in a food processor/mixer and grind it to a fine paste. Do not add water.
- The mixture should be of a dough consistency. Apply some oil in your palm and roll out the mixture into equal balls.
- Falafel patty is ready. Below I have shown two ways to cook falafel.
- First method - Heat oil in a pan and toast patties till they are crisp and brown.
- Falafel patties are ready.
- Second method - Heat oil in a pan/kadhai.
- Add falafel and fry until golden brown in color.
- Enjoy it with your favorite dip.
- Another way would be to roll them like small balls, fry them and serve it on toothpicks as snacks along with your favorite dip.
ASSEMBLING FALAFEL IN PITA BREAD
- Take pita bread and cut it into half.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Open up pita bread..
- Apply 1 tablespoon of Tzatziki Sauce at the base of pita bread......
- Place one falafel - you can even break it into half...
- Add some lettuce and chopped cucumbers...
- Add chopped tomatoes...
- Generously add another falafel piece...
- Apply Tzatziki Sauce...
- Add some onion rings...
- Finish it with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, onion rings.
- Enjoy right away before it gets soggy.