Dodha burfi recipe is a yummy and delicious treat perfect for any special occasion. A Gluten-free traditional Indian sweet made with just 3 simple ingredients!
Burfi/fudge is a most popular sweet enjoyed at any Indian festival. There are many varieties of burfis, and dodha burfi recipe is one of my favorites. The best part of this creamy and delicious Punjabi sweet is that it’s made with three simple ingredient-
It’s crumbly, grainy and that’s my favorite part.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT THIS BURFI/FUDGE?
Slow roasting of khoya/mawa is what makes this recipe special. Not only it adds a grainy texture; it lends a beautiful color too.
Roasted khoya takes dodha burfi to a whole new level and creates a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth kind of a nutty crust. This burfi hardly last a day at my house, it’s that delicious!
WONDERING WHAT IS KHOYA/MAWA?
Khoya or mawa is a dairy product widely used in Indian cooking. It is used in both savory and sweet dishes.
Khoya/mawa is prepared by evaporating milk and reducing it to its solid form. It’s a time-consuming process that involves constant stirring.
Keeping the lengthy process in mind, I have come up with simple methods to prepare mawa at home without compromising the authenticity or taste. All the technique explained in this link are pretty easy to make and you can have instant khoya ready in minutes.
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!
The building block for this recipe is mawa or khoya. Khoya is roasted in ghee until it attains a dark brown color.
It is essential to stir continuously throughout the cooking. Do not leave khoya unattended at any time during the entire cooking process. Roasted khoya adds a delicious flavor and a pleasantly grainy texture to this burfi.
Traditionally, sugar syrup is added to dodha burfi recipe, but I decided jaggery instead of sugar. Jaggery will lend a deep rich dark brown color to dodha burfi.
When mawa becomes brown, pour in jaggery syrup and stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Once sugar syrup or jaggery syrup is added to the cooked mawa, ghee will float on top.
You can remove the excess ghee if you like and use it for other sweet preparations.
Grease a plate or bowl. Spread the burfi mixture in an even layer and generously sprinkle it with slivered nuts. Allow it to cool completely for 4-5 hours.
After it’s cooled and firm, make cuts with a knife and carefully remove dodha burfi pieces and enjoy! This burfi can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Dodha burfi can be made with other variations too. For extra crunch, feel free to add –
- cracked wheat
- wheat flour
- roasted semolina/sooji.
Either way, it will taste amazingly delicious!
Do give this recipe a try and if you happen to make this burfi then do share your yum pictures with me @Facebook or drop me a line below!
Dodha Burfi Recipe
- Measure and assemble ingredients.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add mawa.
- Start cooking mawa on a medium low flame. Keep a watchful eye on mawa and keep stirring. Mawa will look like this after 7 minutes.
- Mawa after another 7 minutes in cooking.
- Mawa after another 8 minutes into cooking.
- Meanwhile combine jagerry and water in a pan.
- Bring it to a boil. Boil the syrup till it forms a one thread consistency. Lower the flame to lowest setting and check the consistency.
- To check one string consistency - drop few drops of jaggery in a bowl of cold water.
- If it forms a solid string. You are good. One string consistency is ready.
- If jaggery disperse in water, continue boiling for another 2-3 minutes until it forms a string in water.
- Add jaggery syrup to cooked mawa.
- Keep stirring until mawa becomes thick. Ghee will start to float on top. If you like you can remove the extra ghee from top.
- Grease a plate, evenly spread burfi mixture in it.
- Generously sprinkle nuts on top.
- Allow to set for 4-6 hours.
- Cut yourself a piece and enjoy! Stays good for 2-3 days at room temperature (in winters) in an airtight container. If the temperature is warm, refrigerate it.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 213mg | Potassium: 23mg | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 360IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 553mg | Iron: 0.3mg