Whenever I announce ENCHILADAS TONIGHT.. my kids are jumping with joy. This one pot wonder casserole is an all- time yummy and kids-friendly dinner. Made the veggie enchiladas as well as the chicken enchiladas -had great flavor and balance of spices. Prepared with homemade enchilada sauce and added color to my recipe by tossing in black beans, yellow corn, red bell pepper and onions. Feel free to play around with veggies – you can also throw in some green bell peppers or broccoli to give it that green touch.
FEW SUBSTITUTES –
- Chicken shreds can be substituted with rotisserie chicken or frozen chicken strips.
- Instead of store bought tortillas, homemade rotis or leftover rotis can be used.
- Paprika can be substituted with Cayenne pepper or Red chili powder – adjust accordingly.
- If cooking with chicken adding veggies is optional.
- Substitute garlic powder with freshly grated garlic or can be left out entirely.
Cumin powder is suggested in the recipe but if you have roasted cumin seeds powder – go ahead and use that, it will add a smokey flavor to the recipe. Garlic powder lends an extra deliciousness and a punch of flavor to the veggies (not shown in the picture below as decided to thrown in at the last minute). Cover the tortillas fully in enchilada sauce or else they will remain crunchy and hard around the edges. Use enough to cover the whole casserole – do not drench them or you will end up having a liquidy base layer. Bake till cheese is bubbly and all melted.
Homemade enchilada sauce really made a great difference and added a great flavor. Topped it with chopped cilantro and green onions and served with sour cream and shredded lettuce…YUM! This dinner is quick and easy – so creamy,delicious and very filling! Try it and you will not be disappointed.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Chicken and Bean Enchilada
- 8 nos Tortilla
- 1/4 cup Black Beans
- 1/4 cup Canned or fresh boiled corn
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onions
- 1/4 cup Chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoon Chopped Green Chilies (optional)
- 1.5 cup Chicken shreds
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Paprika or Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Mixed Cheese
- 4 tablespoon Enchilada sauce (for veggie or chicken saute)
- 1-1.5 cups Enchilada sauce (to pour over enchiladas)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
FOR VEGGIE ENCHILADAS
- Prep up the ingredients. Drain and wash beans liquid. Chop veggies.
- Assemble flour or corn tortillas.
- I have used Monterrey jack and Mozzarella cheese combinations.
- In a pan heat oil, add onions and saute for a minute. Add in bell peppers, corn and beans.
- Mix it well.
- Saute for 1 minute. If you prefer bell peppers to be soft then saute for another minute.
- Stir in the spices...
- Enchilada sauce...
- Stir till well blended. Taste it along and adjust seasonings. Allow it to cool down completely.
- Take a tortilla.
- Spread 2 tablespoon mixture of enchilada sauce over it.
- In the center generously sprinkle cheese...
- Spoon out beans-corn mixture over it...
- Sprinkle some more cheese..
- Roll it like a wrap.
- Set it in a baking casserole. Preheat oven at 350 degree F.
- Repeat the process with rest of the tortillas and arrange them in the casserole.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the rolled tortillas. Make sure it is enough to cover the tortillas. Do not drench them in sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese all over the casserole and cover the tortillas. Prefer less cheese-y adjust accordingly.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake till cheese is bubbly.
- It should take 15-20 minutes. Veggie bean enchilada casserole is ready.
- Enjoy it with sour cream and salsa.
FOE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- For the chicken enchiladas follow the above recipe.
- Add shredded chicken to the veggie saute mixture.
- For Chicken enchiladas - add 1 tablespoon of extra enchilada sauce to the bean mixture.
- Mix and allow it to cool down completely. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stuff the tortillas the same way as they are mentioned above.
- Roll and arrange in a casserole, cover with enchilada sauce, cheese and bake @ 350 degree F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.