Today’s dinner recipe needs no explanation, the name says it all. A wonderful recipe where crispy paneer strips are tossed in a sweet and sour honey-lemon sauce… easy, mouthwatering & full of flavor recipe!! Vegan lovers can substitute paneer with tofu. Paneer is pretty bland on it’s own and has no taste at all, and that’s what makes it a versatile ingredient. Paneer takes on the flavors of whatever it is cooked with and therefore I like experimenting and trying out different recipes with paneer.
RECIPE DETAIL – In this recipe, I have cut paneer into thin stripes, rolled them in cornflour and deep fried until brown and crispy. Before frying make sure to dust off the excess cornflour mix, otherwise you will end up having a messy oil. You can choose to grill paneer strips on a griddle or bake them in an oven @ 400 degree F until brown and crispy. I have flavored paneer with lemon zest but instead of lemon orange zest can be used. Don’t go overboard with lemon zest, measure the exact amount or else the recipe will turn tarty.
Combine all the sauce ingredients together leaving out green onions and ginger-garlic paste. Feel free to add or subtract chili sauce as per one’s taste. I have added little bit of honey to balance out the sourness and add a sweet touch to the recipe. Rest of the recipe is straightforward and takes minutes to cook. Overall, a delicious dish that has a bright – lemony flavor and a sweet potion of honey. I paired it with warm rice and it was a perfect complement.
FEW SUBSTITUTES –
- Substitute paneer with tofu.
- Brown sugar can be replaced with regular white sugar.
- Instead of lemon orange zest can be used.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Sweet and Sour Honey Lemon Paneer
- 1 packet Paneer (350 gms.)
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cups Chopped Green Onions
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1 cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Chili sauce
- 3 teaspoon Brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Lemon Peel
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Honey
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Let's begin with paneer first.
- In a bowl add cornflour. Add salt and red chili powder to it and mix.
- Cut paneer in thin strips.
- Coat paneer strips in cornflour mixture. Dust off the excess.
- Heat oil in a pan. Before frying, strain paneer through a strainer and dust off the excess mixture otherwise it will mess up the oil.
- Fry paneer strips until golden brown in color.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- In a bowl combine soy sauce + chili sauce + brown sugar + lemon peel + honey + tomato ketchup.
- Mix it well.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a minute on low flame. Add green onions and saute for another minute.
- Mix in the sauce mixture and 1/3 cup of water. Add salt and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the flame and add in paneer strips.
- Mix until well blended.
- Adjusted seasonings and serve it with white rice.
- Just before serving sprinkle some sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Enjoy your yummy meal !!