Saturday and time for breakfast, everyone in my family knows it’s NAMKEEN DALIYA. Broken wheat or cracked wheat also referred to as Daliya is a perfect breakfast recipe and ready under 30 MINUTES. Savory porridge prepared with cracked wheat and vegetables is a healthy one pot meal breakfast.
Looking into my kids eating pattern I have chosen the vegetables they like but you can always improvise and add more colorful options. Adding capsicum added that mild spicy touch to this recipe – I mean Savory Vegetable porridge – Namkeen Daliya which cooks up really fast and the trick to a grainy-all-dried-up daliya- is too let it sit even after the hissing of the cooker is gone. But if you prefer a liquid-y daliya then add 1/4 cup of extra water to the same recipe- it will end up mushy but perfectly blended.
My family loves it and make it your family favorite too!! Besides being pressure cooked all the peas were soft and tender, but my older one (no-so-pea-lover) still manages to kick them out to the corner of his plate 🙁 and the younger one (to save his brother) manages to eat them all up. They think Mom doesn’t know their little secret (wink…wink!!).
DID YOU NOW YOU COULD ADJUST YOUR SERVING SIZE BELOW – CLICK ON 4 TO REDUCE OR INCREASE YOUR SERVING SIZE.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Savory Vegetable porridge - Namkeen Daliya
- 1 cup Daliya (broken wheat)
- 2-1/4 cups Water
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small Tomato,chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 small Capsicum, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil
- In a pan dry roast the daliya for 3-4 minutes till it's aroma fill up your kitchen and the grains are light brown in color.
- Assemble all the ingredients. Peel and chop onions, tomatoes and green capsicum.
- In a cooker heat oil and add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to crackle add in onions.
- Add in peas, tomatoes and green capsicum. Saute for 1 minute till they are slightly tender. Mix in all the spices one by one.
- Give it a good mix.
- Add in daliya..
- Mix..Mix and mix..
- Add water and mix.
- The quantity of water should be just enough to cover the daliya. For an idea dip your CLEAN AND WASHED finger in the daliya water and the water level should be upto your first finger line.
- Cook for 3-4 whistles or until soft. Allow it to cool down completely. It should be all dried up and look like a perfect cake. Spoon out some mixture and rub in between your fingers to check if the grain is soft and cooked.
- Serve hot with fresh homemade curd or sprinkle some lemon juice and enjoy.