A fail-proof Instant Rice Idli recipe that comes together in less than 30 minutes. These soft, and spongy steamed rice cakes are a perfect and healthy way to start your day! Gluten-free & Vegan too!
My family loves South Indian food. Once a month I try to include South Indian delicacies in my meal rotation. Among all their treats, Idlis are in constant demand in my household. Not only us, but my kids also love idlis- in fact, it is their favorite finger food. Instant Rice Idli
But preparing idlis by the traditional method cannot be possible at all times. No doubt the traditional route is healthy and nutritious, but let’s admit its kind of a long.
So, what to do when your kids have a sudden urge to eat idlis? They will not wait that long. They need something instant.
This is where my Instant Rice Idli recipe comes to my rescue. No one will believe it’s INSTANT! These idlis are so gooooood!
Wondering what Idli is?
Idli is a staple food in South India. These soft and fluffy idlis can also be referred to as steamed rice and lentil cake.
The traditional idli is made by soaking rice and lentils for few hours. Later, grind the duo to a fine paste and ferment overnight. Once the batter ferments, it’s steamed using idli molds and served with sambar and chutney.
They are amazingly delicious and can be enjoyed any time of the day – be it breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
What’s so good about Instant rice idli?
Compared to the traditional method, this instant idli is effortless! It requires
- no soaking
- no fermentation. Yeah, you heard me right – no soaking or fermentation required.
- Has no baking soda
- Soft and feathery light till the last bite.
With no soaking and fermentation, the whole process is reduced by half. Now, what more do you need in a recipe? It’s quick, simple and comes together pretty quickly. A real savior and a foolproof method that has never failed me. 🙂
Now onto the recipe!
This is a pretty straightforward recipe and requires no crazy ingredients.
Simply, prepare homemade idli mix by combining the flours and spices. Pour in water and make a batter of thick dropping consistency. Add eno and citric acid just before you intend to make your idlis.
This batter is now ready to be steamed, and you will have soft idlis ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! These idlis are quite addicting, and no one can stop at one.
Can the dry mix be stored?
Yes, this mix can be stored without adding Eno and citric acid in an airtight container. When ready to use, add eno, citric acid; beat the batter well and steam.
My Experiment Results!
This recipe was tested and tried many times for successful results and I am updating all the combos that I have experimented with.
- Baking Soda as a citric acid substitute – Unfortunately no. Because baking soda leaves a soapy taste in these idlis.
- Vinegar – A big no. It gives a sour taste to the idlis.
- Baking Powder – Absolutely no.
- Can you avoid citric acid – Unfortunately no. It’s a must-have for this recipe. Citric acid and Eno combo results in soft and light idlis.
- Lemon Juice – Weird but it’s a no again. It should have worked, but during the experiment, it failed.
I got great results with Eno and citric acid. This combo together creates a fizzy reaction which is very important for fluffy idlis.
Some Common Queries!
- Buttermilk instead of water – Yes, you can do that.
- After mixing eno and citric acid to the batter – can we store it? Yes, you can – but only for a day in your refrigerator.
- Is citric acid good for health? Everything in moderation is okay. Citric acid is a common food additive that has a sour flavor and is used as a flavoring agent in foods. In fact, citrus fruits contain up to about 8-10% of citric acid. My recipe calls of 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid in a 5 cup batter – I think we are good.
So, next time when you are in a time crunch then give these Instant rice idli a try. Simply, mix up the ingredients and steam right away! Make a big batch and munch on them all day long.
Do give it a try and hope you enjoy it as much as we do! If you happen to make these idlis, please comment below and leave your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @ruchiskitchen (one word) or #ruchiskitchen. I would love to see your creation!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON: