Whenever I announce ENCHILADAS TONIGHT.. my kids are jumping with joy. This one pot wonder casserole is an all- time yummy and kids-friendly dinner. Made the veggie enchiladas as well as the chicken enchiladas -had great flavor and balance of spices. Prepared with homemade enchilada sauce and added color to my recipe by tossing in black beans, yellow corn, red bell pepper and onions. Feel free to play around with veggies – you can also throw in some green bell peppers or broccoli to give it that green touch.
FEW SUBSTITUTES –
- Chicken shreds can be substituted with rotisserie chicken or frozen chicken strips.
- Instead of store bought tortillas, homemade rotis or leftover rotis can be used.
- Paprika can be substituted with Cayenne pepper or Red chili powder – adjust accordingly.
- If cooking with chicken adding veggies is optional.
- Substitute garlic powder with freshly grated garlic or can be left out entirely.
Cumin powder is suggested in the recipe but if you have roasted cumin seeds powder – go ahead and use that, it will add a smokey flavor to the recipe. Garlic powder lends an extra deliciousness and a punch of flavor to the veggies (not shown in the picture below as decided to thrown in at the last minute). Cover the tortillas fully in enchilada sauce or else they will remain crunchy and hard around the edges. Use enough to cover the whole casserole – do not drench them or you will end up having a liquidy base layer. Bake till cheese is bubbly and all melted.
Homemade enchilada sauce really made a great difference and added a great flavor. Topped it with chopped cilantro and green onions and served with sour cream and shredded lettuce…YUM! This dinner is quick and easy – so creamy,delicious and very filling! Try it and you will not be disappointed.