Winter is here and time to enjoy it’s healthy produce – green leafy vegetables. And on that thought the dish that comes to my mind is none other than makki di roti teh sarson ka saag – nothing beats this combo in wintertime. 🙂 Makki ki roti is maize flour flatbreads prepared with finely grounded Indian cornmeal and cooked until golden brown. A complete meal when paired with sarson ka saag – d-licious and healthy meal.
RECIPE DETAIL – Simple and straightforward recipe. Knead a soft dough with cornmeal/cornflour, spices and water. I have tried this recipe with and without wheat flour. My two cents – wheat flour mixed with maize flour creates softer rotis. Try not to make thin rotis, as they may turn crispy and hard.
Shape the dough ball in between parchment paper or plastic ziploc bag and form a large disc shaped roti. This has to be done with your hands, please do not use rolling pin to make this roti. Transfer it to a hot griddle and cook on each side, until brown and cooked through. Apply oil/ghee as needed.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Makki ki roti
- 2 cups Makki ka atta (Cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup Wheat Flour (Atta)
- 1-1/4 cup Water (a little less less that 1-1/4 cup)
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon Ajwain/ Carrom seeds
- 1/4 cup Oil or Ghee
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients in a big bowl and knead a soft dough.
- Add water slowly and gradually, do not pour at once.
- Dough is all smooth and ready.
- Take a plastic ziploc bag and cut it's three sides. After cutting open the plastic bag, it will open like a book. Grease the plastic sheet in the center.
- Make a small ball out of the dough and place it in between the sheets of plastic. Drizzle some oil on top of it.
- Fold the plastic sheet over the dough ball.
- Heat and grease a griddle on medium heat. Using your hands, spread the dough ball around making it look like a large disc.
- Roti all ready.
- Remove the plastic sheet from the top of the roti ...
- Carefully lift the roti and...
- Transfer it on to hot griddle/ tawa.
- With a knife, make a cut in the center.
- Grease along the way. When cooked from one side, flip it over and..
- Cook on each side, until brown and cooked through. Apply oil/ghee as needed.
- Crispy brown makki ki roti is ready.
- Repeat the process with rest of the dough.
- Serve it hot with gajar, shalgum ka achar and
- Warm sarson ka saag!!