Have you ever tasted a langar at your local Gurudwara? If so, then you must be familiar with this rich and creamy Punjabi langarwali kali dal. This hearty, comforting Maa choley ki dal or Amritsari dal is a must-have on my meal planner once every month. Very easy to cook and uses no fancy ingredients – yet so delicious and flavorful. Traditionally, this dal is slow cooked on a low flame for hours to achieve its maximum flavor, but I prefer to cook it in my slow cooker. Read all about slow cooker here.
RECIPE DETAILS – This dal is a combination of two lentils – Chana dal (Bengal gram) and Black gram dal (Split black Urad dal). The slow cooker or crockpot process is the most simple one. Clean and wash the dal. Add it to the slow cooker along with water and few spices and cook on HIGH setting until the lentils are broken down and the dal is well blended. Cook with the lid fully covered. Depending on the slow cooker model cooking time may vary.
If you choose to cook this dal in a pressure cooker – wash and soak dal for an hour. Drain dal, wash and add it to a cooker. Pour enough water to cover dal, add salt and haldi. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles and then follow with rest of the recipe.
This one pot nutritious dal gets it’s magical touch with its tadka/tempering. Heat ghee or butter, add below mentioned ingredients and cook until fragrant. Pour it over the dal, garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with tandoori roti.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Langarwali dal in slow cooker
- 1-1/4 cup Chana dal OR Bengal Gram lentils
- 1 cup Black gram dal OR Split black Urad dal
- 5 cup Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Ginger
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to garnish
FOR TEMPERING or TADKA
- 1 medium Onion,chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 2 small cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Wash and clean dal. Transfer dal to the slow cooker.
- Add water..
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours or until dal is well blended.
- Fully cooked dal.
- Add garam masala.
- Assemble ingredients for tempering/ tadka.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan, add cumin seeds, onion, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, mix in copped tomatoes, rest of the spices and cook until tomatoes are soft and ghee starts to separate from the mixture.
- Pour tadka on the dal.
- Mix it well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with tandoori roti.