Cutlets have always been my favorite appetizer, easy to prepare and flavorful. Every bite you dig in, is so delicious and simply delectable! The term “cutlet” is used to describe a patty (either veg or non veg) that is dipped in egg wash, covered with breadcrumbs and served fried. But today I present a healthier version of cutlets.
You can enjoy these cutlets guilt-free for breakfast, evening tea or make it for a party. This healthier version is not fried, no flour, no potatoes are added in these cutlets and above all its a no onion no garlic recipe.
BE ALERT- You are about to enter a full flavor zone!! It’s a belly-filling, robust starter recipe that is sinfully delicious and so satisfying.
RECIPE DETAIL – The filling is a combination of boiled mashed peas, crumbled paneer and homemade breadcrumbs. Oh and I added some fresh cilantro leaves which added a great flavor. Mix the cutlet mixture with hands to ensure that everything is well-blended until you have a thick mixture that is neither to gooey nor too thick.
If the cutlet mix feels sticky add some more breadcrumbs, adjust seasonings and continue with the recipe.
Cutlets can be cooked on an Indian tawa or pan fried or shallow fried. Since I was making these for a potluck party I chose to cook it on my electric griddle. Uses very less oil but provides full flavor and that’s exactly what this recipe aims to deliver. The key to perfectly cooked cutlets is PATIENCE. Unlike the fried version, these cutlets take time to cook on a tawa or electric griddle. Keep turning until it is crispy and brown from all the sides.
SUBSTITUTES – Try other variations to make these cutlets more healthy and colorful.
- Feel free to add spinach, cabbage and other veggies
- Boiled chickpeas can be substituted with any other beans.
- Feel free to use store bought canned chickpeas. Drain, wash, crush and add them to the cutlets.
- Vegans can substitute paneer with tofu.
- A perfect make-ahead appetizer! Prepare the cutlets and store in an airtight container.
This recipe can easily be doubled if you’re feeding a crowd. Do give it a try and it will make your family and friends reach for seconds. I have served them with super yummy green chutney for chaats. But with or without the dip these cutlets tastes super yum!!
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Healthy Paneer Cutlets
- 250 grams Paneer or Firm Tofu
- 1/2 cup Boiled Chickpeas or safed chole
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Boiled peas
- 3 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 3 teaspoon Lemon Juice (adjust according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- Assemble ingredients.
- Crumble paneer with your hands.
- Mash boiled chickpeas and add it to the paneer. I have used food processor to mash chickpeas. Add boiled peas.
- Add breadcrumbs and red chili powder.
- Add salt.
- Add lemon juice.
- Cilantro leaves. Mix it well. Adjust seasonings.
- Shape them like cutlets.
- Heat a tawa or griddle.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to each cutlet.
- Cook evenly from both the sides.
- Follow the same procedure if cooking on a tawa.
- Make them stand and cook evenly from all the sides until crisp and brown.
- I have served them with super yummy green chutney for chaats. But with or without the dip these cutlets tastes super yum!!