Dry and spicy Potato capsicum sabzi ready in just 15 minutes. Alu Capsicum – no onion no garlic recipe can be enjoyed either with roti or just pick up a toothpick and eat it as a side dish. Quick and easy to make and a delish during fasting period. Nothing fancy just simple cubed potatoes and cubed capsicum tossed together with fragrant spices to prepare this flavorful dish. Also referred to as aloo shimla ki sukhi sabzi meaning dry aloo capsicum vegetable.
During fasting time you have little energy to cook elaborate meals so this dish comes in handy and the best part is it’s ready in 15 minutes. Adding dried mint leaves to this adds a really nice flavor and the combination of spices adds a slightly spicy flavor that really enhances the dish. Always check with your elders what all spices you can consume during fasting. As per my knowledge all these spices are vrat-friendly and be enjoyed without any doubt.
A great hit among my kids and they can smell its aroma once they enter the house. Funny part is the younger one can eat up the whole bowl in one go and the older one will leave out all the greens 😉
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Alu Capsicum - no onion no garlic recipe
- 2 big Potatoes
- 1 big Capsicum
- 3/4 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves
- Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Sendha namak)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Assemble all the spices.
- Wash, peel and cube Potatoes. Wash and cube capsicum.
- In a pan heat oil, add cubed potatoes, salt and haldi and mix.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Check potatoes by inserting a knife through them and if it pierces through a potato cube easily means potatoes are cooked. Add in all the dry spices one by one.
- Mix..mix and mix..
- Add in cubed capsicum..
- Mix till well blended.
- Lower the flame, cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- I prefer capsicum to be soft but still on the crunchy side. But if you like it soft then cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Alu capsicum is ready. Enjoy it either with roti or just pick up a toothpick and eat it like a side dish.