Simple yet flavorful Whole Wheat Margherita Pizza is a great addition to your weeknight dinner. A quick and easy pizza made with homemade pizza dough comes together in only 30 minutes and has a soft and chewy crust!
Who doesn’t love pizza? From what I know, pizza is everyone’s favorite food, right? At least in my house, everyone loves pizza. It’s that dinner where I don’t have to fight any battles and it always get a big “YES” from the whole family when I announce that we are having pizza for dinner. And that too whole wheat margherita pizza made from scratch.
My little one is a picky eater but his LOVES for pizza is so big that at times on our vacation, we end up eating pizza for all three meals a day. 🙁 And not any pizza, it has to be his all time favorite – margherita pizza.
I guess the sight and smell of pizza makes my cuties 💕 little tummy growl. And why not? I mean come on – that crispy crust, gooey melted cheese topped with lots of veggies can make anyone go weak on their knees. And now I am craving for one. 😎
Now, onto the recipe!
Let’s talk about the base first. Base is made with 100% whole grain white wheat flour, yeast and water. It’s my go-to pizza dough recipe that taste wonderful and is so much healthy. Healthy as in, no preservatives and no un-pronounced ingredients goes in the dough. If you want the recipe, check out this post.
Let’s move on to the sauce. I have topped my pizza with homemade marinara sauce as it adds tons of flavor to this pizza but any store bought pizza sauce will work just fine.
In my previous pizza post, I had mentioned that I like to slightly bake my pizza before topping it with sauce. This way I get a nice cooked base instead of a sloppy one. A base adds an important layer of flavor and that’s the reason I prefer it cooked, before anything goes on it. But this step is optional and can be skipped.
Moving on to the toppings !
Secret to a best Margherita pizza – keep it simple. Less toppings = more flavor.
The key toppings for this whole wheat margherita pizza are sliced tomatoes, freshly teared up basil leaves and fresh mozzarella. Fresh mozzarella adds a great taste and a creamy texture to this pizza. No matter what toppings you add to this pizza, I promise you are going to love it!
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese begins to bubble and caramelize around the center. Depending on your oven, cooking time may vary. One last thing, top the perfectly baked pizza with some hand-teared basil leaves for an extra burst of flavor.
Whether it’s a weeknight dinner, or you have friends over for a game, this easy whole wheat margherita pizza is always a d-licious choice. Try this one out sometime soon and if you do, then either drop me a line below or share your yum pictures with me on Facebook. Would love to see your creation!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST !
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Whole Wheat Margherita Pizza
- 1 recipe Pizza dough
- 1.25 cup Homemade Marinara sauce
- 1 ball of Mozzarella cheese (340 grams)
- 2-3 small Tomatoes, cut in circles
- 1/4 cup Roughly teared up Basil leaves
- 2-3 tablespoon Olive oil to brush the base
- Preheat oven @350 degree F. Assemble ingredients for pizza.
- Homemade Marinara sauce. Follow the link above to make marinara sauce at home or any store bought pizza sauce will work just fine.
- Follow the link above to make homemade pizza dough at home.
- I prefer my base to be slightly toasted before adding the sauce. So I have covered the base with beans and baked @350 degree F for 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove the beans and store for later use. Before I top my pizza with sauce and toppings, I like to brush the pizza base and edges with olive oil for a crispier crust.
- Time to spread marinara sauce at the base.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Generously add mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.
- Marinara sauce has salt in it but if you like, you can season your pizza at this point.
- Transfer pizza to a hot oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese begins to bubble and caramelize around the center. Depending on your oven, cooking time may vary.
- Remove pizza from the oven and set it on the counter for a couple of minutes and let the cheese and veggies set in. Cut a slice, sprinkle red chili flakes and enjoy!
- Pizza base can be made in advance and when ready, top with sauce, your favorite ingredients, cheese and bake.