Smell of cinnamon always reminds me of fall and winter holidays and today I am celebrating the flavors of fall with a delightful tray-bake cake filled with autumn goodness ….yummm ♥. Wondering what am I talking about? Well, I am referring to this fall-inspired cake that is super flavorful and the crumble coffee cake is enhanced with cinnamon and chopped walnuts. When it’s baking, it’ll make your house smell like fall.. all cinnamon-y. This cake is a beauty and it will melt in your mouth and leave you craving for more.
RECIPE DETAIL – Preparing the cake batter is pretty simple just like any other cake. The basics – sift flour – cream butter and sugar – mix in eggs – fold in dry ingredients and mix until the batter is well blended. The secret lies in the crumble topping…now that’s the yummy part. 🙂
The topping takes minutes to put together. Prepared with few ingredients right of your pantry like – brown sugar, warm – exotic grounded cinnamon and all purpose flour for thickening. I have used brown sugar to give a caramel-y flavor, but feel free to replace it with regular sugar. Also, I have used melted butter for my topping, but cold butter can be mixed in until coarse crumbs are formed.
A generous crumb topping forms a pretty thick layer on top of the cake and has thick crumbles of butter, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon – all mixed in. This nice crunchy topping adds both texture and taste that blends perfectly with the flavor of the cake.
Remember to fill the cake pan half way, as this cake bakes into a fluffy and a really tall cake that is good for a large gathering. In one word, it makes an irresistible cake that can be enjoyed as an afternoon snack or for dessert.
So, if you love cinnamon and walnuts, give this cake a try and I am pretty sure you will love it ♥♥!! Also try out eggless crumble cake recipe.
Try other cakes – Cakes and cookies.
Walnut Crumble Coffee Cake
- 2-1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Soften butter (or you could use 1/2 cup butter + 1/2 cup oil)
- 3 large Egg whites
- 1-1/4 cup Whole milk
PREPARING CRUMB TOPPING
- Assemble ingredients for crumble topping.
- Melted butter.
- Assemble all the ingredients together.
- Pour butter on top of the topping.
- Mix it well and set it aside.
PREPARING CAKE BATTER
- Prep up the dry ingredients.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Set it aside. Preheat oven @ 350 degree F.
- Assemble wet ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg whites..
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Cake batter is ready.
- Grease a baking pan. I am using a 9 by 9 inch nonstick square springform baking pan.
- Pour the batter.
- Add crumb topping.
- Place it in the hot oven and Bake for 50 minutes or until tooth pick stuck in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let the cake sit in its pan for 10 - 15 minutes.
- If using spring-form pan like me, unbuckle it and allow it to cool down completely before removing the base.
- Slice and devour.
- Enjoy it hot or cold with ice cream of your choice.