Fuss-free and easy Vinegar Onion recipe or Sirke wala pyaaz recipe. These onions get their beautiful color from red beets. A tangy and yummy accompaniment to any meal!
The sight of these onions always reminds me of my childhood and brings a huge smile on my face. Growing up, whenever we ate at a restaurant, among all the dishes these rich garnet colored pickled onions always caught my attention.
These pickled onions are so addictive, bet you can’t eat just one!
Almost every Indian restaurant in the Northern part of India serve these sweet onions along with food. These onions are sweet and sour at the same time.
Preparing pickled onions at home is remarkably easy. Follow the step by step guide below and learn an easy way of making Vinegar Onion recipe or Sirke wala pyaaz recipe at home.
WONDERING WHAT IS SIRKA?
Before I begin with the recipe, let me give you a heads up – “Sirka” in Hindi means vinegar and “pyaz” means onions.
When paired together it means Pickled Onions.
Now, onto the recipe!
I have used pearl onions for this recipe, but this recipe can be made with regular onions too. Peel and slice regular onions and follow the step by step guide below.
The only difference is that unlike whole onions, sliced or cut onions cannot stay in vinegar for long as it will lose its crunchiness.
I always use beets powder to color my onions.
Color with beets!
Because beets are nutritious and healthy and they impart a deep rich color to these onions. But if you don’t have a liking for beets, you can use red food color for the onions.
To color these onions, I have used beets powder. I personally like to work with powdered beets as it is less messy and easy to work with.
Word of Advice!
Be very careful while working with beets as beets tend to color everything they come across.
You may end up coloring your kitchen counter if you touch vinegar and beets together. Either wear gloves or work near your sink to avoid the mess.
Homemade pickled onions taste the same as restaurant ones. Pickled onions transform the regular onion into the most beautiful thing.
It erases that raw taste and adds a sweet and sour flavor to these onions. You have to taste it to believe it.
Can be enjoyed for a couple of weeks if stored in an airtight container.
Hope you like this recipe and give it a try. If you happen to make it then either drop me a line below.
Vinegar Onion recipe or Sirke wala pyaaz recipe
- 30 -40 pieces of Pearl Onions (500 gms or 1 LB )
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 3 teaspoon Sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 teaspoon Beets powder (see notes)
- Peel onions and wash them under water. Combine vinegar and water in measuring jar. Set it aside.
- Using a knife make a cross on the onions.
- I prefer to use beets as my food coloring. You can use beets in any form - freshly sliced, dried beets or powdered beets powdered.
- My favorite is beets powder. I make it at home by drying beets in a warm oven (200 degree F) for 8 hours, then ground it to its powdered form.
- Add beets powder to vinegar + water. For a deep garnet color I have added 1.5 teaspoon of beets powder to vinegar.
- Whisk until well combined. Add sugar and salt.
- Get your onions ready.
- Storing for longer time - add onions to a bowl. Pour vinegar and allow the onions to sit in this solution for 1-2 hours. But if using onion rings (onion cut in circles) then soak them for not more than 30-40 minutes.
- After the desired soaking time, onions will have a light red color.
- For a rich garnet red color - add onions to a jar. Pour vinegar and beets mix to the jar until onions are fully drenched in this solution.
- Close the lid and store onions in the refrigerator overnight. Whole onions stay crispy for long.
- Once marinated for the desired amount of time, remove onions from the solution, discard the liquid and store onions an airtight glass container. Onions can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.