Looking for an appetizer for your next party? Here is a super easy veggie potstickers recipe that will surely become a hit at your next gathering!
Tasty and delicious potstickers are pan fried vegetable dumplings that are tender and crispy at the same time. Whenever we visit our favorite Thai/Chinese restaurant, potstickers is always on our order list. But none of my favorite restaurants offer veggie potstickers. So thought of recreating the same in my kitchen and here I am with my all-time favorite finger food -veggie potstickers……yum!
The key to a perfect potsticker is – the wrapper. I have used homemade wonton wrappers for this recipe. But feel free to use store bought wonton wrappers to save yourself some time. All the local grocery stores carry them under the name of either “wonton wrappers” or “dumpling wrappers” or “gyoza wrappers’. Look for them in the refrigerated section.
Folding potstickers may look a bit difficult at first, but once you’re comfortable with the technique you will find it pretty easy. It does require a little practice to shape them but follow the step by step tutorial below to get the right folds without much hassle. This recipe is divided in two parts – the filing and folding the postickers.
RECIPE DETAIL – A very adaptive recipe. Customize the filling with whatever veggies/protein you have on hand. Tofu lovers can add shredded tofu, more veggies, mushrooms to this recipe. Likewise, meat lovers can substitute tofu for sautéed meat and enjoy it with spicy ginger-soy dipping sauce!!
Cooking method is pretty straightforward – pan cook -steam- pan cook. The three step process adds a nice contrast of texture and color to the potstickers. Do give them a try and at your next party treat your guests with these easy-to-make veggie potstickers recipe. Pair it with your favorite noodles for a yummy meal tonight!
Also, a wonderful make ahead appetizer! Assemble the potstickers ahead of time and freeze for later use. When ready to use – remove from freezer and directly add them to the hot pan to fry or you can steam them too. There is no need to defrost the potstickers. It’s that easy!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Veggie Potstickers Recipe
- 18 sheets of Homemade wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup Shredded Red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 cup Thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Boiled noodles
- 1/2 cup Chopped Green Onions
- 3 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Red chili sauce
- 2-3 drops of Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Crushed back pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
PREPARE THE FILLING
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Choose thin noodles for the filling.
- Boil noodles as per package instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic.
- Add chopped mushrooms and saute for a minute.
- Lower the flame and mix in shredded green and purple cabbage.
- Add shredded carrots and green onions.
- Finally add boiled noodles.
- Add salt, crushed black pepper, soy sauce and chili sauce. Also added few drops of sesame oil for extra flavor.
- Mix, adjust seasonings and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Let's begin making the potstickers. Moisten the top half-circle of the wrapper.
- To assemble, place 2 teaspoon of filling in the center of the wrapper (do not overfill).
- Fold and pinch the wrapper from one end (the left side).
- Using your right thumb and right forefinger, make a pleat, pinch and seal that pleat to the wet part of the wrapper.
- Use your left thumb to press the filling down as you fold your pleats.
- This is how it will look like - first pleats!
- Continue making pleats and keep pinching until you have reached the other end. If it feels dry, use a drop of water to seal the potsticker. Before sealing the final part, press gently on the potsticker to release any trapped air. This way they will not split open when steamed.
- Repeat the process with rest of the wrappers until all the filling is used up .
- All shaped potstickers. They will look like a half crescent moon.
- To cook- first pan cook them in oil until the bottom is crispy and brown.
- Then a small amount of water, cover and let it steam for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame.
- When ready to serve, crisp them again and serve. This adds a nice texture and color to the potstickers.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
- An easy and delicious appetizer for your next party.