Veggie Lasagna Roll ups is my go-to quick and easy weeknight one pot meal. It does require some prep work but it’s well worth the effort. Today, I am sharing with you a lighter version of lasagna that is loaded with veggies and uses way less cheese. I like my lasagna to be on a light side – not to cheesy like the ones that make you feel heavy and full after the meal.
This recipe is adapted from the classic lasagna but is not exactly like the original – it’s much lighter, healthy and truly delicious!!
RECIPE DETAIL – Instead of stacking the lasagna sheets, I have rolled them as individual servings, stuffed with veggies and surrounded them with homemade marinara sauce and cheese.
Begin by boiling the lasagna sheets as per package instructions. Keep swirling the sheets, this way they will not stick together. Cook until it is tender and al dente ( firm enough to bite). Remove and arrange them in single layer on a tray and let them dry for couple of minutes. The trick is to dry just enough so that they don’t feel sticky while rolling.
Prepare the stuffing by adding veggies of your choice. Adding cream is optional, leaving that will not harm the recipe. Follow the step by step guide on how to stuff and roll each lasagna sheet. To keep it on a lighter side I have added very less cheese to the rolls but feel to substitute cheese with ricotta cheese.
CHOOSE YOUR BAKING METHOD– Roll each sheet and place them in a greased/llined muffin pan. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce at the base, sprinkle some cheese and place rolled lasagna sheets on top. Fill each lasagna roll with more veggies, some extra sauce and add cheese. Filling lasagna rolls is important in this step, or else they will dry and become crunchy during baking. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Light, full of flavor lasagna rolls ups in muffin pan is ready!!
If you choose to bake lasagna rolls in a casserole – then follow the step by step recipe below. Surrounded with sauce and cheese these rolls are baked to perfection!
MAKE AHEAD – This is a make ahead, perfect freezer-friendly recipe. Assemble lasagna completely, wrap and refrigerate for a day and freeze for a month. Defrost, bake just before dinner and you are all set. Do give it a try and I hope you enjoy this light and yummy version of lasagna roll ups as much as I do!
Are we friend's yet?
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Veggie Lasagna Roll ups
FOR ASSEMBLING LASAGNA
- 6 - 8 sheets of Lasagna Pasta
- 2 cups Homemade Marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup of Low fat low sodium Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 15- 20 leaves of Fresh Spinach leaves
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped green beans
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Carrots
- 1/2 cup Chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped red and green capsicum (optional)
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Zucchini
- 1/4 cup Cream or ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon Olive oil
- Assemble Lasagna sheets.
- As per package instructions boil pasta. Cook until it is tender and al dente ( firm enough to bite). Keep a watchful eye on the pasta, it should not get mushy and overcooked.
- Drain and spread in a single layer to dry out for couple of minutes.
- Wash and chop veggies.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan, add carrots and beans, cover and cook until they are slightly soft.
- Add onions and garlic..
- Saute for a minute.
- Add zucchini..
- Add salt..
- Add red chili flakes..
- Pour in cream or ricotta cheese.
- Mix and set it aside.
- Preheat oven @ 375 degree F. Grease a baking dish or cupcake pan. Lay out the boiled pasta in a single layer and spread a layer of marinara sauce.
- Generously add veggies.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoon cheese.
- Add spinach leaves and...
- Roll the lasagna sheet.
- Repeat the same process with rest of the sheets.
LASAGNA IN CUPCAKE PAN
- Grease or line cupcake liners. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce at the base, sprinkle some cheese and place rolled lasagna sheets on top. Fill each lasagna roll with more veggies, some extra sauce and add some cheese..
- Place them in the preheated oven to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let them sit in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese, add some sauce and enjoy topped with basil or spinach leaves.
LASAGNA IN CASSEROLE
- Grease a casserole. Pour in enough marinara sauce to cover the base. Sprinkle cheese and..
- Arrange rolled lasagna sheets in a single layer.
- Spoon some sauce on top of the lasagna.
- Add cheese and..
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until cheese is all melted and bubbly.
- Top with chopped basil leaves or spinach leaves and..