Sharing a pretty easy and traditional Indian recipe – Tandoori Chicken without oven. Deliciously spiced and pan cooked authentic Tandoori Chicken recipe. Secret lies in the marination – the longer the marinade the more flavorful and moist the chicken will turn out to be. Both the cooking methods are shown below – without oven and with oven.
I marinated the chicken for 12 hours and it was PERFECT. It’s the yogurt that makes this chicken so moist and homemade tandoori masala is what makes this dish spicy and flavorful! If you really want spicy, kick up the garam masala quantity. While cooking on the cooktop – marination will turn all liquidy as curd will curdle and become lumpy. Don’t worry keep going and if you have leftover marination add that too; to the pan/kadhai. Once all cooked and dried up it will look all smeared and coated in the masala. End result- chicken came out juicy and bursting with flavor (see picture below).
But for true tandoori flavor, grill it over a tandoor and that would be so much better. Cooking in the oven gives full flavor to the chicken. Keep turning and basting with butter as you grill. Use a higher oven temp to get the crispy outside texture. Oven – cooked chicken flavors are subtle but come through nicely when cooked. See the picture below to compare both the cooking methods.
Both the methods had same cook time – 24 minutes. In both methods, chicken was juicy and tender. Only difference is the appearance – chicken cooked over cooktop was all smeared and coated in masala as compared to the other one where marination had all dried up during grilling but had so much flavor and the chicken was unbelievably moist!
Serve with fresh lemon wedges over the chicken along with chutney and onion rings.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Tandoori Chicken without oven
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 6 pieces of Chicken Legs
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Hung Curd (thick Market curd/yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kastoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tablespoon Homemade tandoori masala
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Butter/Ghee/oil (for basting or cooking )
- Let's begin with the first marinade. Wash and thoroughly clean chicken pieces. In a big bowl add lemon juice and salt. Whisk it up and add chicken pieces.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken and allow it to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile let's prepare ingredients for second marination.
- In a large bowl whisk up curd and make it smooth with no lumps. Mix in crushed ginger-garlic paste...
- Add in kastoori methi, tandoori masala, nutmeg powder and salt. Whisk and mix till all the spices are well blended.
- Take chicken out of the refrigerator and add it to this marinade.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken and coat it well.
- Cover and keep it overnight in the refrigerator.
CHICKEN ON COOKTOP
- If choose to cook chicken over the cooktop then follow the recipe below. This is how the chicken will look after 12 hours.
- In a pan heat butter or ghee. Add chicken one by one. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- AFTER 5 MINUTES - Chicken will look like this - masala all washed out and watery. No worries.
- This is what is left of the marinade. DO NOT THROW IT AWAY.
- Add this good stuff - leftover masala to the chicken.
- AFTER 5 MINUTES (10 minutes into cooking)- chicken will turn all liquidy as the curd coagulates...
- And bubbly- keep cooking on medium high flame.
- AFTER 15 MINUTES ( 15 minutes into cooking) - chicken all dried up and cooked.
- Increase the flame to high and start sauteing. DO NOT LEAVE THE CHICKEN UNATTENDED AT THIS POINT. Once all the liquid has dried up - you will have a beautifully coated and smeared Tandoori chicken. From start to finish my total cook time was - 24 MINUTES.
CHICKEN IN OVEN
- If grilling chicken in oven- Preheat oven @ 400 degree F. Grease a grill and place a dripping tray underneath it.
- Arrange chicken pieces on the grill.
- And place the tray in the preheated oven.
- After 10 minutes chicken will be cooked from one side.
- Using a tong turn them over and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once cooked from all the sides, baste them with butter.
- Chicken will get a shiny look. Close the oven and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Total cook time- 24 MINUTES.
- Delicious cooked chicken legs are ready.