Get your holiday party off to a great start with these scrumptious Stuffed Potato Cigars. These crispy and delicious cigars will be hit at your party and your guests will keep coming back for more!
Are you in search for an appetizer for your next gathering than look no more? These delicious and crunchy Stuffed Potato Cigars will outshine all other appetizers at your party. Not only are they easy to make, they tastes amazing too!
These stuffed potato cigars is a very old recipe and I have been entertaining my family and friends for years. This recipe has a crispy outer layer and is soft and spicy on the inside – a guaranteed crowd pleaser recipe at every gathering, potluck or picnic.
Now, onto the recipe!
Boiled and mashed peas cooked with spices are rolled up in potato-paneer dough and shallow fried until brown and crispy. Wondering what will bind the potato-paneer mixture? Well, there is a secret ingredient in the recipe and that will hold the potato-paneer mixture and that’s – powdered Flattened rice (poha). Poha (flattened rice) when combined with potato-paneer will make a firm dough.
Can’t find poha or flattened rice, use oats flour as a substitute.
The secret to perfect cigars lies in the dough. If the dough is sticky, the whole recipe will become a mess. So before you advance to the next step (prepare filling) make sure the dough is smooth and silky.
Proceed with the filling directions and stuff the cigars. Fold and seal all the edges. Roll until it shapes like a log. Heat oil and shallow fry until brown and crispy. Serve hot with your favorite dip or chutney.
For your next party, give this recipe a try and entertain your guests in style! If you decide to make this recipe, share your yummy pictures with me @Facebook or leave me a comment below. Would love to hear from you!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST !
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Stuffed Potato Cigars
INGREDIENTS FOR OUTER COVERING
- 2 large Boiled and Peeled potatoes
- 1 cup Shredded Paneer
- 3/4 - 1 cup Grounded poha in powdered form (flattened rice powder)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves, crushed
- Salt to Tatse
- 1 tablespon Oil to coat the potato dough
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
- 1.5 cup Boiled peas
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Crushed chili flakes (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dried cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon Oil
- Oil for Frying
MAKING THE OUTER COVER
- Assemble ingredients.
- And spices.
- Combine all the above ingredients (except oil) in a bowl.
- Mix until well blended. Taste and adjust salt.
- Knead a soft dough. Apply oil and finish the dough.
- The dough should feel sticky at all.
- If the dough feels sticky, either add some more powdered poha or a tablespoon of rice flour. Adjust seasonings. Cover and set it aside.
- Assemble ingredients for the filling.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add boiled peas and cook for 1-2 minutes on a medium low flame.
- Using a potato masher, mash the peas.
- Add spices.
- Pour in lemon juice and add salt.
- Mix, taste and allow the mixture to cool completely.
MAKING OF CIGARS
- Let's begin by preparing the outer layer.
- Make a round ball (size of a ping-pong) out of the dough.
- Flatten the dough using your hands. If the dough feels sticky, sprinkle some rice flour and flatten the dough.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of the flatten dough.
- Beginning from one end, start folding the dough.
- Fold and seal all the sides together.
- Until it forms a log.
- Roll the log and make sure all the sides are sealed.
- Repeat the procedure with rest of the dough.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the cigars until brown and crispy. Drain on a paper napkin to remove excess oil.
- Instead of frying, these cigars can be pan cooked too.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.