Slow cooker onion tomato masala for Indian gravies – a versatile masala that can be used for almost all the Indian recipes that calls for onion, ginger, garlic and tomato as base ingredients. Slow cooker method is a hit in my home because there is NO STRONG SMELL and it uses very less oil. Do you cook and store onion-tomato masala in bulk? If so then you will find this post helpful. If you are looking for Onion- tomato masala cooked over the stove/cooktop method – follow this link.
PLEASE DO NOT COOK THIS MASALA WITH RED ONIONS – The pigment that give red onions its color reacts with the cooking environment – it causes a chemical change and because of that (heat), red onions loses it’s color – they turn dark blue or green in color.
RECIPE DETAIL – Peel, wash and ground onions, ginger and garlic to a fine paste. Add everything to the slow cooker, set the timer, cover and let it cook for 4 hours on HIGH setting. After the cooking time, remove the lid – masala will have some liquid left at the base, no worries, let it simmer with the lid off for another 1:30 minutes. Depending on the slow cooker model, cooking time may vary. This masala stays fresh in refrigerator for at least a month. In slow cooker method we hardly add any oil, so the oil will not separate from the masala.
Having guest over for dinner, no worries just throw in this masala with nearly any vegetable – Matar paneer, Aloo matar, Chicken recipes, Besan ke gatte, Lauki ke kofte, Palak Paneer ….the list is endless. This masala can be substituted for almost all the Indian recipes which calls for onion, ginger, garlic and tomato as base ingredients.
HOW TO USE THIS MASALA IN A RECIPE? If a recipe calls for 1 medium onion, 2-3 cloves of garlic, some ginger and 2 tomatoes then use 1/4 cup of cooked onion tomato masala and you are all set, follow rest of your recipe and your meal will be on the table in no time. Since there is very less oil added to this masala in slow cooker – so when you use it for a recipe, saute in oil for couple of minutes and that takes care of everything.
Follow this link to learn about how to store onion tomato masala.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Slow cooker onion tomato masala for Indian gravies
- 4 big White Onions, crushed (or 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 3 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 2 cups Homemade tomato puree
- 1/4 cup Oil
- Peel, wash and crush onions to a fine paste. I have used store bought tomato puree here.
- Assemble ginger-garlic paste.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic paste to the slow cooker. Plug it in.
- Add tomato puree.
- Pour in oil.
- Mix everything together.
- Put the lid on and set the timer for 5:30 hours on HIGH setting. Cook masala covered for 4 hours.
- After the desired cooking time, masala will have some liquid, open the lid and cook for another 1:30 minutes on HIGH SETTING. Depending on the slow cooker model, cooking time may vary.
- Perfectly cooked masala is ready to be used for Indian gravies. Since there is very less oil added to this masala in slow cooker - so when you use it for a recipe, saute in oil for couple of minutes and that takes care of everything.
- This masala stays fresh in refrigerator for at least a month.