Rainy and cold what can we think of today? Traditional deep fried samosa recipe. Cone shaped flaky fried pastries filled with savory potato-pea filling are a real delight to enjoy in any season. Step by step recipe on how to shape samosas.Using the same recipe we can even BAKE them in the oven!! They are even more delicious and a lot less greasy.
Dough for this recipe is incredibly easy and simple to work with. This dough recipe is common for all the traditional Indian street food. Adding more ghee/oil will make it more flaky and crispy. FOR A HEALTHIER VERSION – BAKE THESE SAMOSAS @ 350 DEGREE F FOR 30-40 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. JUST BRUSH THEM WITH BUTTER/GHEE BEFORE BAKING.
ANOTHER HEALTHIER ALTERNATIVE – TRY MAKING THESE WITH FILLO DOUGH/PHYLLO DOUGH SHEETS. BRUSH EACH SHEET WITH OIL AND STUFF THIS MIXTURE AND BAKE @ 400 DEGREES FOR @20-30 MINUTES. These one are phenomenal and super flaky. Will be posting this recipe pretty soon.
The filling itself is flavorful and spicy. but you can play around with ingredients and tweak up the recipe here and there and make it more/less spicier, also adding cilantro leaves would bring out more flavor. If you like chicken fill these samosas up with keema masala. As shown above, samosa should be tightly packed and sealed before frying as they may open up and mess up the oil. Enjoy this yummy samosa with green chutney or tamarind chutney. My family devoured these and I am sure your’s will too!!
- 2 cups Maida
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter or Ghee
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Ajwain/ Carrom seeds
- 1/3 cup Water (approximately)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda (optional)
- Oil for Frying
- 4 medium Boiled and cubed Potatoes
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder)
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Saunf (Fennel seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1 small Chopped green Chili (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon Hing (asofetadia)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- Let's begin with kneading the dough. Assemble and combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead a soft dough.
- Cover and set it aside.
- Boil and peel potatoes. Cube them out into small pieces.
- Assemble all the dry spices.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and hing to it. Mix and stir in frozen peas.
- Saute peas for 1 minute and then stir in all the spices one by one.
- Mix them well. Finally stir in cubed potatoes and mix till they are well blended and covered with spices.
- Using a potato masher gently mash the potato mixture. Mash them gently, do not make a paste- keep some chunky potatoes in the mixture.
- Samosa filling is ready. Allow it to cool down.
- Let' begin assembling the samosas. Take a small golf size ball.
- Using a rolling pin roll it out in a circle.
- Rolled out dough circle.
- Using a knife divide the circle into two halves.
- Cut samosa dough down the center.
- As shown in the picture fold one half right in the center.
- Bring the other half and it will form a triangle.
- Apply water on the edges and seal all the sides leaving the BOTTOM PART OPENED.
- Circle your palm and place samosa triangle in between your palms like a FUNNEL OR A CONE.
- Using a spoon fill the samosa triangle with the potato-pea filling.
- Apply water on the two open edges and starting from one end keep pressing the two sides together.
- Keep working your way towards the other end, applying water as needed.
- Securely seal both the ends. Check the samosa for any open ends, if you find any seal it by applying some water.
- Perfectly sealed samosa.
- Samosas all ready for frying.
- In a pan heat oil and when hot, lower the heat and fry these samosas till golden brown in color. Remove and place them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- If you prefer you can bake these samosas using the same recipe. Just brush them with unsalted butter before baking.
- Hot samosas are ready.Enjoy them with your favorite chutney.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.