Pinwheel cookies – rich and tasty vanilla and cocoa swirl cookies. Holiday season is around the corner so how about these deliciously flavored pinwheel cookies. Making them is so much fun. Even your kids are going to enjoy baking these stunning cookies. Below version uses egg in the recipe but you can substitute egg with yogurt or pureed fruit of your choice. End result will be the same.
Cookie dough are prepared separately and later chilled in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. You can even refrigerate them for longer hours it won’t harm the dough. Just remember every time you work with the dough – dough should be chilled. While rolling make sure the dough is tightly rolled, if there are air pockets left then your cookies will not have perfect swirls. Secret to perfect swirls is chilled dough with no air pocket.
Sugar in vanilla cookie dough recipe is 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon. Let’s start with these amazing cookies and give your family members a big Christmas Surprise!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM RUCHISKITCHEN.COM
VANILLA COOKIE DOUGH
VANILLA DOUGH PREPARATION
- Assemble: all the ingredients. All the ingredients should be at the room temperature.
- If not using egg, substitute egg with any of the following - 1/4 cup of yogurt/curd or 1/4 cup of mashed banana or 1/4 cup of applesauce.
- In a large bowl sieve flour and salt together.
- Beat butter and sugar together until well mixed. Mix in egg (or yogurt) and vanilla until its blended in the mixture. Mix in the flour and combine until well mixed.
- Dust your surface with 1 tablespoon of flour, roll the dough over it and form the dough into a big ball. Whole process will take 25 minutes.
- Vanilla cookie dough is ready. You can use it as is to make plain vanilla cookies.
COCOA DOUGH PREPARATION
- Assemble: all the ingredients for cocoa dough. Ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Sieve the flour, baking soda and salt together til well mixed. In a large bowl beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Mix in cocoa powder, egg and vanilla essence. Mix in flour and mix until it blends well with the mixture.
- Dust your surface with 1 tablespoon flour and roll out the dough over it and form it into a big ball. Whole process will take 25 minutes.
- Both the dough are ready.
- Divide the dough into equal balls. This way it will be easy to roll into squares. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap them. Place them in between a wax paper and roll them out into 1 inch squares.
- Cut them into even squares and place them over each other. If you like the outer covering to be white then place the vanilla dough at the bottom and layer it with cocoa dough.
- Using a rolling pin roll flatten out the dough. Now start rolling the dough tightly.Keep rolling it tight so that no air pockets are left.
- Once dough is fully rolled out, wrap it in a wax paper and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Remove chilled dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and slice the dough into circles about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake them in the preheated oven for about 12- 15 minutes.
- When cooked, allow them to sit for a while until cooled.
- Enjoy them with hot tea!!