Tender, stuffed, cubes of paneer are skewered with crunchy vegetables and grilled to perfection! Paneer ke Sooley – a perfect summer recipe that will please and satisfy the whole family!
Paneer is my all-time- favorite alternative to meat – whether be sweet and sour honey lemon paneer, achari paneer tikka or paneer tikka without oven, I like experimenting with paneer. It’s very versatile. Paneer ke Sooley
Paneer on it’s own is pretty bland and has no taste at all. It takes on the flavors of whatever it is cooked with and that’s what makes it an incredible ingredient. In today’s recipe, “Sooley” is a term used for smoke-roasted kebab on a hot charcoal grill.
This method of cooking is common for a variety of meats, poultry, and fish and it makes a wonderful appetizer relish. In this method of cooking, marinated meat is smoke-roasted until cooked. My ingredient for “sooley” is paneer – stuffed paneer cubes are marinated in yogurt to absorb all the goodness of spices. Leave it for 2 – 3 hours and the spices will infuse lots of rich flavor into this delicacy.
Now on to the recipe! Paneer ke Sooley
Let’s start off with the first step – prepare the marinade. Please use thick curd (hung curd) for marinade, a watery – liquid-y curd will ruin the recipe.
Dry roast gram flour and whole spices separately. Dry roasting helps to release the hidden aroma and flavorful oils of these spices. Coarsely ground the spices and add to the marinade. Once everything is mixed together, taste and adjust seasonings.
Second step would be to stuff paneer. As explained below, slice paneer into 1.5 inch thick slice. Carefully stuff it with cheese mix. Some slices may break during the process, no worries, secure it with a wet toothpick or wooden skewer. During grilling, as the cheese melts it will hold the other piece together.
As stated above in “sooley” method of cooking, marinated ingredient is smoke- roasted and grilled over hot coals until charred; but my plans for grilling was ruined by rains. So, had to do it indoors over my cooktop. 🙁 Both oven and cooktop method shown.
You can even cook it on a hot smoking griddle pan until brown and after a few minutes of cooking you will end up with tender and juicy paneer sooley, soaked with flavor. If you choose this method then grease the pan before you begin.
Next day, wrap the leftover paneer sooley (if any) in homemade roti and enjoy it as a kathi roll. Time saving and a perfect brunch recipe. Sprinkle sooley with chaat masala and lemon juice. Serve hot with vinegar onions and chutney of your choice.
Do give it a try and if you happen to make it drop me a note below or share your yummy pics @facebook. Would love to see your creation!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST !
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Paneer ke Sooley
STUFFING FOR PANEER
- 1/2 kg Paneer
- 3 tablespoon Low fat Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Finely Chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Salt (adjust to taste)
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINATION
- 3 tablespoon Besan (Chickpea flour)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Methi dana (Fenugreek seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Cashew powder
- 1 cup Hung Curd or store bought yogurt (read post above)
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Eliachi Powder (Cardamon Powder)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon Mace powder (Javitri powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tablespoon Cream (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium Red and Green Capsicum, cubed
- Assemble ingredients.
- On a medium low flame, dry roast coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds until it starts releasing its aroma. It will take couple of minutes.
- Once done, allow it to cool completely. Coarsely grind the spices.
- In a separate pan dry roast besan on a low flame until light brown in color. Keep a close watch as besan gets burn quickly. Once done, set is aside.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients. Cashew powder not shown but added to the recipe.
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients one by one and...
- Mix it well.
- Add roasted besan and..
- Grounded spices to the marinade.
- Mix until well blended. Taste and adjust spices and salt.
- Assemble cheese and other ingredients.
- Add everything together and..
- Mix it well.
- Slice paneer in rectangles. Wet some toothpicks/wooden skewer in water. Set it aside.
- Keep the slices thick. Each slice should be 1.5 inch thick.
- Carefully make a slit in the slice.
- Stuff the slice with cheese mixture.
- Repeat the process with all the slices.
- Cut slices in cubes and insert wet toothpick or skewers.
- This will hold them together.
- Gently fold each slice in marinade and..
- Arrange on a baking wire rack or tray, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven @350 degree F. Bake paneer ke sooley for 20 - 30 minutes or until crisp and brown, turning occasionally.
- Wanted to re-enact the same flavor, so placed 7-8 charcoal brisket over the flame and..
- When they was red hot, placed the charcoal pieces in an old pan.
- Skewered paneer cubes were placed on a wire rack and cooked until smokey and brown. The flame was on medium high until paneer was cooked.
- I used the leftover marinade for the bell peppers and grilled them too.
- Sprinkle sooley with chaat masala and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with vinegar onions (recipe link above) and chutney of your choice.