Tender and juicy Murgh Malai Tikka are super easy to make and are bursting with flavor. Smothered in a homemade marinade, these tikkas will surely rock your barbecue party!
Summer is finally here, and it’s time to fire up the grills. In the summertime, outdoor grilling has its charm. There is something about the smell and flavor of grilled food that you just can’t resist. I am hosting a neighborhood party and have Murgh Malai Tikka on the menu.
There will be all sort of yummy food ranging from barbecue wings, salsa, nachos, dips, oven roasted potatoes, and my murgh malai tikka is a perfect fit for the party. These tender and juicy tikkas smothered in the homemade marinade are so good that it will just melt-in-your-mouth.
My original plan was to cook tikkas over the grill but the plan was ruined due to the rains :(, so I had to do the grilling indoors in my oven. I guess this time everyone will miss that ‘grilled’ taste.
What does Murgh Malai Tikka Mean?
Before I begin with the recipe, let’s talk about murgh malai tikka. ‘Murgh’ means cubed pieces of chicken, ‘malai’ means cream and ‘tikka’ means pieces of meat marinated in a spicy mix. So Murgh malai tikka = small pieces of chicken cooked in a cream-yogurt-spice marinade and grilled to perfection.
In this homemade marinade, yogurt and cream help to balance out the heat from the spices while adding a delicious burst of flavor in every bite.
How to make Murgh Malai Tikka?
Marinating is done in two steps.
- First – lemon juice and salt help tenderize the chicken.
- Second – is the main marinade where all the spices, yogurt, cream, cilantro are mixed to form a thick marinade.
Begin by preparing the marinade. Combination of chicken and cream in a marinade is THE best. Cream+yogurt+ cheese creates an amazing saucy marinade that moistens and infuse the flavor in these tikkas. Once the marinade is ready, smear it all over the chicken and refrigerate.
How to Cook the tikkas?
Traditionally, tikkas are cooked in clay ovens/tandoors, and my initial plan was to grill them, but the weather didn’t cooperate. If everything works well for you weather wise, I would suggest cooking it over the grill.
As soon tikkas come off the grill/oven, smear it with butter and serve hot. I recommend pairing these tikkas with green chutney.
I hope you give it a try. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Murg Malai Tikka
- 1 Pound Boneless Chicken (washed and cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
FIRST SET OF INGREDIENTS
- 3 teaspoon Cashew Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Green Cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon Crushed green chilies
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
SECOND SET OF INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup Thick Curd
- 1/4 cup Low fat Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Kasoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoon Cream
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Clean, wash and cut chicken into cubes.
- In a large bowl mix chicken with lemon juice and salt.
- Mix it well. Let it marinade for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile lets assemble all the ingredients listed under 'First set of ingredients.'
- Combine all the above ingredients in a bowl.
- Assemble all the ingredients listed under 'second set of ingredients.' If cilantro, green chilies or garam masala aren't your favorites then feel free to leave them out. Your tikkas will still turn out good. NOTE - the ingredient used is DRIED FENUGREEK LEAVES not MINT LEAVES. That's a typo. Please add dried fenugreek leaves.
- Combine both the ingredients.
- Mix it well. Perform the taste test.
- Add chicken.
- Rub this marinade onto the chicken. Marinade chicken in this mix for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven @400 degree F. After the chicken has marinated, thread the pieces onto the skewers. Evenly divide the pieces between 6 skewers.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes turning them once in between, until cooked through.
- Remove from oven. Generously brush with butter.
- Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve hot.