Deliciously baked Mexican veggie bowls are a perfect bite size appetizer for a birthday party, potluck dinner, game night or simple dinners to name a few. Corn kernels tossed with versatile black beans and spices make a great filling for these mini Phyllo/Fillo shells.This recipe is prepared with store bought Phyllo/Fillo mini shells but you can make these with bread slices. I have shown a step by step recipe below about how to make bread bowls. Save the leftovers of bread slices to make homemade breadcrumbs. What I love about these mini munchies is that they are everyone’s favorite and a crowd pleasing appetizer. To top that these are MADE IN 30 MINUTES!!
For this recipe I have used store bought corn kernels, washed them of their liquid and used them as a filling. You can even use frozen corn kernels. Black beans can be substituted with black eyed beans (lobia) or whole black beans (sabut Urad lentils). After everything has been tossed start filling up the bowls because if this mixture is left to sit, it will get watery. Finish this appetizer at the last minute 10 minutes before everyone start arriving. Fill them up, bake them till cheese melts, top them with a dollop of sour cream and you are all set to welcome your guests.
My little one is quite a helper around the kitchen and since I was running out of time (sunlight argh!!) I asked him to assist me in filling up these bowls. Had to share the above picture that shows his work – quite impressive right. He even ended up sprinkling cheese on top (below pic). What a fun way to involve kids in the kitchen. Keep watching for more I will be adding other versions of these mini bowls pretty soon. Till then enjoy making these yummy vegetarian snacks!!
Mexican Veggie bowls
- 1 box of Phyllo/Fillo mini shells (or 12 slices of bread)
- 1 tablespoon Corn Kernels
- 1 tablespoon Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon Finely Chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Paprika or Red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt to taste
BREAD BOWL PREPARATION
- Take a bread slice and using a cutter or katoori, cut a circle out of it. Using a rolling pin flatten out the bread circle. Take a muffin pan and press the bread circle firmly inside it.
- Bake it at 350 degree F for 10 minutes or until light brown.
- They should look exactly like these. Perfectly toasted and crisp.
MEXICAN MIX PREPARATION
- Time to prepare our Mexican filling.
- In a bowl assemble all the ingredients one by one - leaving out cheese.
- Add lemon juice, salt, paprika or red chilies, roasted cumin seeds and 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
- Give it a good toss and start filling the cups. Don't let it sit, as it will release liquid and that will make our bread soggy.
FILLING UP THE BOWL
- Heat oven at 350 degree F. Using a spoon, generously fill bread cups to the top and sprinkle cheese over it.
- Bake it in the oven for 5-7 minutes, till the cheese melts.
- In this recipe I have used phyllo/Fillo mini shells to make these Mexican filled bowls.
- Start filling up the bowls.
- Since these bowls are smaller as compared to bread bowls it will hold up just a teaspoon of a quantity.
- Bowls are filled..
- Generously top them up with cheese and bake them at 350 degree F for 5-7 minutes.
- Perfectly baked bowls and cheese is all gooey and soft.