“What’s for snack Mom?” – is what every Mom hears in the evening when kids are off from their playtime and there is still time to dinner. Introducing Macaroni Salad and Macaroni cups – Elbow macaroni tossed with veggies to add additional flavors, nothing fancy… just a perfect, classic recipe to satisfy your cravings and everyone will love that! Kid-friendly recipe and a great way to involve children in the kitchen. I think it’s a great way for them to be up at the counter with me, helping me with stuff, learn about cooking or just watch me cook. It’s a great family bonding time. 🙂
Boil macaroni as per the package instructions and chop the veggies. In my opinion the flavor distributes better if the veggies are chopped small. Improvise and add veggies to your liking, I added what all I had in my refrigerator. Want to make it spicy mix 1 tablespoon of chili sauce with ketchup.
These are very versatile cups that always go over big with kids birthday party or potlucks. First of all they get their favorite macaroni and secondly, that too in a cup.. Yay!! Make them in large batches because they will be gone even before you know it. Made 30 of these for my kids play date among 10 kids and all I heard was, “Do you have some more?”
COOK TIME – 15 minutes for Macaroni salad and additional 10 minutes for Macaroni cups. Time mentioned below is just for Macaroni salad.
RECIPE SOURCE – Epicurious.com
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Macaroni Salad and Macaroni cups
FOR MACARONI SALAD
FOR MACARONI CUPS - MAKES 4 CUPS
- 15-20 pieces of Salted Crackers
- 1/2 cup Low Fat Shredded cheese
- 2-3 tablespoon Milk
- 2-3 tablespoon Low Fat Shredded cheese (sprinkle on top)
- 4-8 tablespoon Pre-cooked Macaroni (recipe above)
FOR MACARONI SALAD
- I have used elbow macaroni but you can use any kind of pasta for this recipe.
- Assemble all the ingredients, chop onion, capsicum and shred cabbage.
- As per the package instructions boil pasta.
- Meanwhile in a pan heat oil and add capsicum and onion to it. Cook till onion is translucent (2 minutes) and add shredded cabbage, salt and red chili pepper to this mixture and mix.
- Add in tomato ketchup and take it off the flame.
- Mix till all the ingredients are well blended.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon out the hot pasta and..
- Toss it in the sauteed mixture.
- Assemble both the utensils side by side so that its easy to spoon and drop.
- Add all the pasta and mix thoroughly. Adjust seasonings at this point.
- Serve hot.
FOR MACARONI CUPS
- For the cups I am using Ritz salted crackers. Use any brand which is readily available in your local grocery stores.
- Toss 15-20 crackers in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin crush them. Preheat oven @ 350 degree F.
- It should look just like this - all crumbly.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Mix cracker crumbs in a bowl...
- Add shredded cheese..
- And milk. Add milk slowly start by adding 1 tablespoon at first.
- Knead it like a dough.
- Grease a muffin pan. Drop some dough mixture in a muffin cup...
- And spread it around giving it a shape of the muffin cup.
- Repeat with rest of the mixture and this mixture will fill up 4 muffin cups.
- Bake it @ 350 degree F for 3-4 minutes. It will brown up around the edges. Using a fork loosen up the baked ritz cups from the sides but let them still be in the muffin cup.
- Fill the baked cups with prepared macaroni...
- And top them off with shredded cheese.
- Return it back to the oven and bake until cheese melts.
- Allow them to sit for 2-3 minutes and then using a spoon take them out.
- Serve them as is...
- Or drizzle some tomato ketchup and serve. It will be gone even before you know it.