Need a quick and easy appetizer for your next party – try these delicious kamal kakdi cutlets or lotus stem cutlets. A delectable combination of lotus stem, black chickpea sprouts and boiled potatoes, seasoned mildly with spices. These vegetarian cutlets are simple, super yum and delivers a riot of flavors! Packed with nutrients and fiber, these cutlets will be a great hit at your next potluck party.
It’s a great make ahead appetizer. Mix ingredients, shape the cutlets, refrigerate and when ready to eat, pan cook or fry until crispy and brown.
RECIPE DETAIL – I have used store bought frozen lotus stem for this recipe. You can find fresh lotus stem at any oriental store or your nearby grocery store. If using fresh lotus stem than peel, wash and dice the stem. Boil the stems until soft and tender. If using frozen, than thaw the stems before your begin.
A very forgiving recipe and can easily be customized to your liking. I have added kala chana sprouts (black chickpea) to the cutlets. Kala chana can be substitutes with any kind of sprouts. To make sprouts at home follow this link.
Rolled oats can be substituted with boiled quinoa or breadcrumbs. For extra texture and flavor, feel free to add boiled peas, crumbled paneer or carrots.
Combine everything together (except oil and boiled potato) in a food processor/mixer and grind it to a fine paste. The mix should feel and bind like a dough. If the mixture feels wet and runny, add some breadcrumbs or besan (chick pea flour) to bind. Shape the dough like cutlets and pan-cook until crispy and brown. Other options would be to deep fry the cutlets.
Great as an appetizer or an evening tea time snack. Enjoy it with your favorite chutney or can be placed inside a bun and relished as a burger. On your next potluck, do give these yummy cutlets a try and this recipe will grab all the attention. 🙂
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Kamal kakdi cutlets or Lotus stem cutlets
- 1 cup Peeled, diced and boiled lotus stem
- 1/4 cup Sprouted Kala chana (Black chickpeas)
- 1 medium Boiled potato
- 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon Finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon Coarsely
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg powder (Jaiphel)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon Red chili powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Oil or Ghee
- If using fresh lotus stem than peel, wash and dice the stem. Boil the stems until soft and tender. If using frozen than thaw the stems.
- Wash sprouted kala chana. Follow link above to make homemade sprouts.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- In a food processor or mixer toss all the ingredients (except potato and oil).
- Pulse the ingredients couple of times until it looks like a mixture.
- Add mashed potato and adjust seasonings. If the dough feels sticky add 1 tablespoon of besan and mix it well.
- Shape it like cutlets.
- Heat oil in a pan and ...
- Cook the kebabs until crispy and evenly brown.
- Serve them hot with the chutney of your choice.
- A make ahead appetizer, shape and store in refrigerator. When ready to eat, cook and serve warm.