Pita bread is a great way of enjoying your favorite appetizers. Pita bread is nothing but a straightforward bread dough recipe where wheat flour, yeast, milk are combined together to form a soft dough.
Let the dough rise, covered for about 2-3 hours and it will almost double in size. Bake it in the oven or over a cook-top and you will have amazingly soft and delicious pita bread ready in 10 minutes.
Below I have shown two versions of pita bread – one baked in the oven and other cooked over the cook-top/tawa. Both the versions are super easy and healthy. Among the two – baked and cook-top version I prefer the cook-top version. Reason – in both the methods pita bread puffs up nicely but in baked/oven version the upper layer puffs up beautifully and result in crispy pockets that can break easily if not handled carefully.
In the cook-top/tawa version, pita bread puffs up nicely but looses its puffiness towards the end. Cook-top version is much denser and softer as compared to oven pitas which makes it easier to work with. Made with just 5 ingredients these pita pockets will be a hit among your family.
Give these make-ahead pita bread a try and you’ll never want to buy pita bread at the store again! Quick and easy to make and perfect as an appetizer to make healthy falafel pita pocket sandwiches! Enjoy it with potato balls and green chutney. Or stuff these pita breads with lettuce, onion, tomatoes, falafel and sauce of your choice.
Are we friend’s yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on –
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on –
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
How to make pita bread or pita pockets
- 2 cup Wheat Flour (Atta)
- 2 tablespoon Maida (All purpose flour)
- 1 packet Active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3/4 – 1 cup Milk (appx.) (or warm water)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
PITA BREAD IN OVEN
- Assemble all the ingredients. Preheat the oven at 400 degree F.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk/water and let it stand for 2-3 minutes, or until foamy. Once the yeast activates (foamy and bubbly), go ahead with the recipe. If the yeast fails to do so, please discard and start over. After the yeast has bloomed, assemble all the ingredients in a bowl, add yeast,oil, and knead a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with damp cloth and set it aside for 2-3 hours.
- The dough will almost double in size.
- Divide dough in equal balls.
- Roll them out into thick circles. Place rolled out dough on a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until brown from the top.
- Soon you will see them puffing up.
- All puffed.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool down.
- Pita bread pockets are ready.
PITA BREAD ON TAWA
- Making pita bread on a tawa is super easy. Just like a roti roll them out and toast them on the tawa. Soon they will start to puff up. Using a spatula press the puffed up part so that the other part also gets puffed up.
- Tawa made pita bread is ready for stuffing.