Pita bread is a great way of enjoying your favorite appetizers. Pita bread is nothing but a straightforward bread dough recipe where wheat flour, yeast, milk are combined together to form a soft dough.
Let the dough rise, covered for about 2-3 hours and it will almost double in size. Bake it in the oven or over a cook-top and you will have amazingly soft and delicious pita bread ready in 10 minutes.
Below I have shown two versions of pita bread – one baked in the oven and other cooked over the cook-top/tawa. Both the versions are super easy and healthy. Among the two – baked and cook-top version I prefer the cook-top version. Reason – in both the methods pita bread puffs up nicely but in baked/oven version the upper layer puffs up beautifully and result in crispy pockets that can break easily if not handled carefully.
In the cook-top/tawa version, pita bread puffs up nicely but looses its puffiness towards the end. Cook-top version is much denser and softer as compared to oven pitas which makes it easier to work with. Made with just 5 ingredients these pita pockets will be a hit among your family.
Give these make-ahead pita bread a try and you’ll never want to buy pita bread at the store again! Quick and easy to make and perfect as an appetizer to make healthy falafel pita pocket sandwiches! Enjoy it with potato balls and green chutney. Or stuff these pita breads with lettuce, onion, tomatoes, falafel and sauce of your choice.
How to make pita bread or pita pockets
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and sugar in ¼ cup of lukewarm water. Mix to combine. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Soon it will look creamy and frothy.This proofing procedure shows that yeast is alive and active. If by now your yeast has not become frothy, please discard and start over.
- Combine all the dry ingredients ( flours and salt) in a bowl and give a good mix.
- Add yeast to the dry ingredients and mix it well.
- Slowly add water and oil to the dough and mix until it forms a soft, pliable dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set it aside for 2 hours. Or you can cut short the time by proofing teh dough in the Instant Pot.
- The dough will almost double in size.
- Transfer the dough to a dusted surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal balls.
- Transfer the rolled dough balls to a baking tray. Cover them with a damp cloth and allow them to rest for another 30 minutes for second proofing.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- After 30 minutes, roll each dough ball out into thick circles. Place the rolled-out dough on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake it in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until brown from the top.
- All puffed.
- Remove the baked pitas from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Pita bread pockets are ready.
PITA BREAD ON TAWA
- Making pita bread on a tawa is super easy. Just like a roti, roll them out and toast them on the tawa. Soon they will start to puff up. Using a spatula, press the puffed-up part so that the other part also gets puffed up.
- Tawa-made pita bread is ready for stuffing.