Homemade whole wheat pizza dough made with 100% whole grain white wheat flour, yeast, and water. My go-to pizza dough recipe that tastes wonderful and is so much healthy.
Nothing beats a fresh homemade whole wheat pizza dough that is incredibly healthy, and preservative -free. Why homemade when you can get the base from the store? Well, to start with, I control what goes in my dough.
Secondly, there are no preservatives or un-pronounced ingredients that are added, and the best part is I can customize the dough to my liking.
I have tried making pizza dough with both all-purpose flour and wheat flour, and the one that I like the best is the dough prepared with whole wheat flour. Wheat flour adds a nutty flavor to the pizza, and it turns out to be crispy and crusty on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.
This is my standard pizza dough recipe and is so much easy to make.
Now, onto the recipe!
Does making your pizza dough sounds like too much work? Believe me; it’s not. Four simple steps –
- Activate the yeast. After the yeast has activated, combine everything in a bowl.
- Knead a soft dough.
- Let it rise for an hour.
- Knead a couple of times again.
- and you are good to go! If the yeast doesn’t get foamy or bubbly, discard and please start over again.
You can use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast. Unlike active dry yeast, instant yeast doesn’t have to be proof, it can be added straight to the dry ingredients. The result will be the same. Use 2 teaspoons of instant yeast for this recipe.
This recipe makes enough dough for two 12 inch pizzas. If you plan to bake just one pizza, then freeze the other half. This dough freezes beautifully.
After the dough rising time, divide the dough in half or in quarters, give it a round shape, wrap the individual round in a plastic wrap and freeze in Ziploc bags. When ready to bake, thaw the dough in the refrigerator, top with your favorite toppings, sauce, and cook. It works great. The dough is good in the fridge for 2-3 days and in the freezer for 1 month.
I like to bake my pizza dough before I proceed with the recipe. For that, I roll the dough in a large circle, transfer it to a greased baking tray, fold the edges and spread a single layer of beans on top. Bake for 10 minutes @ 350 degree F. (see step by step pics below)
Remove the beans, and now your dough is ready to bake, top with your favorite toppings and bake until cheese is all melted and bubbly.
Hope you like this recipe and if you happen to make my homemade whole wheat pizza dough, then please leave me a comment or share your pics on Facebook. I would love to see your creation and would be happy to answer any questions.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 2.5 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 2.25 teaspoon Active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
KNEADING THE DOUGH
- Assemble ingredients.
- Measure flour.
- To activate yeast - combine yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water (110 degrees F).
- Whisk and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- It will become all bubbly and frothy.
- Combine everything together in a bowl.
- Pour in yeast, oil and water.
- Knead a soft dough.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 30 - 1 hour. I like to set my dough in a warm oven to aid in the rising time.
- Dough will double in size.
- Pizza dough all set and ready.
- Dust the dough with cornflour..
- Divide the dough in equal portions. Above measurements make 2 pizzas.
- Roll the dough into a circle.
- Grease a baking tray and transfer the rolled dough onto the baking sheet.
- Keep spreading the dough around.
- Use a fork to make tiny holes at the base of the pizza.
- Fold around the edges. Brush the base and edges with olive oil for a crispier crust.
- I like to bake my pizza dough dough before I proceed with the recipe. For that I spread a single layer of beans at the base of the pizza and bake @350 degree F for 10 minutes.
- Baked pizza base is ready for toppings!!