Nothing beats a fresh homemade whole wheat pizza dough that is incredibly healthy, and preservative -free. This dough is made with 100% whole grain white wheat flour, yeast, and water. It tastes wonderful and is so much healthy.
Why make the pizza dough at home when you can get the base from the store? Is this thought rushing through your mind? Then allow me to help you. Well, to start with, I control what goes in my dough.
Secondly, there are no preservatives or un-pronounced ingredients that are added, and the best part is I can customize the dough to my liking.
I have tried making pizza dough with both all-purpose flour and wheat flour, and the one that I like the best is the dough prepared with whole wheat flour. Wheat flour adds a nutty flavor to the pizza, and it turns out to be crispy and crusty on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. This is my standard pizza dough recipe and is so much easy to make.
Simple Steps to make a Vegan Whole Wheat Pizza Dough at home!
Does making your pizza dough sounds like too much work? Believe me; it’s not. Four simple steps –
- Activate the yeast. After the yeast has activated, combine everything in a bowl.
- Knead a soft dough.
- Let it rise for an hour.
- Knead a couple of times again.
- and you are good to go!
Secrets to a Perfect Pizza Dough!
- Measure your ingredients (flour) correctly.
- Choose the right kind of flour for your the base. Finely ground wheat flour works the best. Pizza base made with a combo of wheat flour + all-purpose flour will yield a crispy and nice textured pizza base.
- Use a fresh packet of yeast every time. Stale, old yeast will not activate. In order for the dough to rise, yeast (a leavening agent) needs to bloom or come alive. Yeast converts the sugar present in the dough into Carbon dioxide and ethanol. CO2 and ethanol then create the bubbles or gas pockets in the dough making it expand in size. If the yeast doesn’t get foamy or bubbly, discard and please start over again.
- Keep the temperature of the water lukewarm. That means the water should have a temperature of 90-100 degrees F. If you do not have a measuring thermometer than hold your index finger in the water for 10 seconds. If you can do that comfortably than that water is perfect for the dough. Remember you need lukewarm water to activate the yeast. Too cold will not activate the yeast and too hot water will destroy the yeast.
- Knead the dough for a good 8-10 minutes. This step is extremely important. Dough elasticity and gluten formation are enhanced by kneading. For a light and crispy pizza base, knead and stretch the dough with your hands.
- Last but not least, follow the recipe and give an ample amount of time for the dough to rise.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and share your feedback! If you have questions related to this recipe, send me an email and I would be happy to answer them. ?
Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
KNEADING THE DOUGH
- Activate the yeast - combine yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water (110 degrees F).
- Whisk and let it sit for 10 minutes. It will become all bubbly and frothy.
- Combine everything in a bowl.
- Pour in yeast, oil, and water.
- Knead a soft dough.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 30 - 1 hour. I like to set my dough in a warm oven to aid in the rising time.
- The dough will double in size.
- Pizza dough is all set and ready.
- Dust the dough with cornflour. Knead the dough for a good 8-10 minutes. This step is essential; please do not skip through it. (read all about this above in the main post under - Secrets to a Perfect Pizza Dough!) Divide the dough into equal portions. Above measurements make two pizzas.
- Roll the dough into a circle.
- Grease a baking tray and transfer the rolled dough onto the baking sheet.
- Keep spreading the dough around.
- Use a fork to make tiny holes at the base of the pizza.
- Fold around the edges. Brush the base and sides with olive oil for a crispier crust.
- I like to bake my pizza dough before I proceed with the recipe. For that, I roll the dough in a large circle, transfer it to a greased baking tray, fold the edges and spread a single layer of beans on top — Bake for 10 minutes @ 350 degrees F.
- Remove the beans, and now your dough is ready to bake, top with your favorite toppings and bake until cheese is all melted and bubbly.