Mathura, the birthplace of Lord Shree Krishna is not only known for its temples, but also for its food and delicacies. And today’s dish is a specialty of Mathura – Dubki wale aloo. The name itself describes the dish – dubki means dipped; aloo means potato, meaning potato dipped in thin curry. A thin and spicy preparation of potatoes flavored with aromatic spices. Dubki wale aloo or aloo rasa is often paired with bedmi poori or kachori recipe. In fact in Mathura, dal kachori is served along with dubki wale aloo.
RECIPE DETAIL – In the recipe below I have added freshly pureed tomato to prepare the base for my potato curry. But traditionally, this recipe is prepared without tomatoes, onion or garlic – rather it uses just spices and potatoes for the curry. If you choose to cook without tomatoes then in hot ghee add all the spices along with potatoes, water and bring it to a boil. Give it a final tadka/chounk and dubki wale aloo is ready to be enjoyed with bedmi poori or kachori. BELOW PICTURE SHOWS DUBKI WALE ALOO WITHOUT TOMATOES.
FEW SUGGESTIONS –
- Instead of dry ginger powder freshly grated ginger can be used.
- Instead of cinnamon powder, a small stick of cinnamon can be boiled along with aloo and later discarded.
- Feel free to add/subtract spices according to one’s taste buds.
- To make the gravy more spicy garam masala powder can be added to the curry.
Dubki Wale Aloo
INGREDIENTS TO PREPARE POTATO
- Boil and peel potato.
- Cut them in cubes.
- Assemble: rest of the ingredients and puree tomato.
- In a pan heat ghee. Add pureed tomato, haldi and dry ginger powder.
- Add in rest of the spices and mix it well. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame until oil starts to leave the tomato mixture.
- Mix in potatoes.
- Add 21/2 - 3 cups of water depending on how thick/thin you want the gravy.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Mix in kastoori methi and adjust seasonings. Set it aside.
- Let's prep up for the final tadka.
- In a pan heat ghee, add cumin seeds and hing. As they start to sputter add in degi mirch and take it off the flame. Add this tadka to aloo and mix.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves..
- And serve hot with Bedmi poori.