Start your party off with this simple and perfect appetizer!! No fancy ingredients- pretty simple and easy to make. Boiled and mashed potatoes are combined with poha (flattened rice), paneer and spices to prepare these irresistibly delicious cocktail snacks. A crowd pleaser recipe which will garnish you praises at your next dinner.
Poha – flattened rice is soaked in water till its soft. Strain it through a strainer. Let it sit in the strainer for a while till all the water has drained off, then crumble it with your hands. It should feel dry before you add it to the mashed potatoes- if there is water in poha it will make the potatoes watery and difficult to bind.
The mixture should be very dry and knead it like a dough – very smooth and lump free. Before you start adding potato balls to oil make sure the oil is hot enough- otherwise the potatoes will disintegrate in oil messing up the whole recipe.
TIP – In case your balls are still disintegrating in oil – no worries – roll them in wheat flour and then shake off all the excess flour. It should just have a light dusting of flour over it. This will prevent the potato balls from breaking up.
Ready to make an impression on your guest – let’s begin with Cocktail snack – Potato Balls…
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Cocktail snack - Potato Balls
- 3 medium Boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 cup Soaked and mashed Poha (Flattened Rice)
- 1 small Onion,chopped
- 3/4 cup Shredded or crumbled Paneer
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Oil for Frying
- Before we begin, let's assemble all our ingredients.
- In a bowl - start with adding mashed potatoes, mashed poha, shredded paneer, onions, cilantro...
- All the spices and 1 tablespoon oil to bind the mixture.
- Make a dough out of it. If you feel the mixture is still crumbly add 1/2 tablespoon oil to the mixture and knead it like a dough. Take some mixture in your hand and shape it like a small golf ball.
- Shape all the potato balls.
- Heat oil in a pan/karahi. Oil should be hot before you start adding the potatoes. If the oil is hot hot enough - potatoes will disintegrate in oil. As you drop a potato ball in hot oil, it should rise to the surface and start to sizzle. If it sinks immediately take it out before it messes up the oil. Fry till crisp and golden brown.
- Insert toothpicks and enjoy with your favorite chutney.