Delicious and tasty North Indian Punjabi Chole Bhature Recipe. Chole accompanied with Bhautra is a satisfying authentic tasting meal which is relished by everyone. Garbanzo beans, chickpeas is a great source of protein and is very low in calories and rich in fiber.
Boiled Chickpeas are sauteed with onion- tomatoes and flavored with strong and warming flavors of spices to create this North Indian delicacy. It’s a delicious and super-easy brunch.
Chole Bhature recipe is explained in three easy steps. First starts with boiling of chana with whole spices and garlic which are later discarded. Secondly, roasting all the dry spices (which are always ready in my pantry) and later grounding them to their powdered form gives a nice, toasty depth to the spices. Last assembling boiled chole with these roasted spices and onion-tomato adds more authentic level of flavor to the final dish.
FEW SUBSTITUTE –
- Pomegranate seeds can be substituted with tamarind paste or lemon juice to achieve the similar flavor profile.
- If you prefer garlic in your chole then skip adding garlic while boiling. Add chopped garlic and saute along with onion-ginger mixture.
- Chopped amla can be substituted with a amla powder. Amla powder is their in the recipe to add more darker color. Skipping it all together will not harm the recipe.
- Tanginess and acidity from the tomatoes can be balanced by adding sugar to the recipe. I had skipped this part because everything was perfect.
- Adding chopped cilantro was the nice final touch that shouldn’t be skipped! It adds more flavor.
HOMEMADE CHANA MASALA – Whole spices can be used instead of grounded ones. Toast them on a low flame till they start omitting their aroma and when cooled ground them to their powdered form and add to chole.
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Chole Bhature Recipe
- 2 cups Chickpea (Safed Chole)
- 1 no. Tea bag
- 2-3 pieces of Bay leaves (Tej patta)
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 3 pods of Black Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Water to Boil the chole
- 1 tablespoon Pomegranate seeds powder (or whole seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya) (or whole seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Roasted cumin seeds (or regular cumin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Amla pieces (or amla powder)
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Kala namak (Black salt)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder (or cinnamon sticks)
ASSEMBLING CHOLE INGREDIENTS
- 1 medium Onion,chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Ginger
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon Sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2-3 nos. Big Green Chilies
- 2 teaspoon Grounded mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- A night before- clean, wash and soak chole overnight.
- Soaked chole all puffed up.
- Assemble all the ingredients needed to boil chole.
- Drain soaked chole water and wash it under clean tap water.
- Add chole to a pressure cooker and add all the ingredients one by one.
- Pressure cook for nearly 20 minutes or until chole are soft and tender.
- Keep it aside.
- I prefer to discard boiled whole spices, mushy garlic and tea bags from the boiled chole.
- Assemble all the chana masala ingredients.
- Leave these four out - black salt, red chili powder, cinnamon powder and roasted cumin seeds....
- Transfer all the spices to a pan and on a low flame dry roast all of the spices till they start omitting their aroma. Be careful not to burn the spices. Keep them aside.
- Final step is to assemble the chole.
- In a kadhai heat oil, add onions, ginger and saute for 2 minutes on a medium flame. Mix in chopped tomatoes, salt and mix till they are fully blended.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes are soft and tender.
- They will look like this - all mushy.
- Mix in the roasted dry spices and the left out 4 dry spices - black salt, red chili powder, cinnamon powder and roasted cumin seeds....
- And give it a good mix.
- Add 1/4 cup water and bring it to a boil.
- As the oil starts to separate..
- Mix in boiled chole...
- And cook for another 4-5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Bring it to a boil, add chopped cilantro leaves and mix..
- Delicious and mildly flavored chole are ready.
- Clean and wash green chilies.
- Slit them lengthwise.
- In a pan heat oil, add powdered mustard seeds, salt and green chilies.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium low flame. Enjoy!!