Incredibly juicy and delicious chicken kebabs cooked without oven. Smoked and grilled to perfection!! Chicken seekh Kebab without oven is a great accompaniment to any meal!!
A quick and easy Chicken seekh Kebab without oven recipe prepared at home without oven. Yes, you heard me right – tasty and succulent chicken seekh kebab without oven. A no-marinade recipe, simply combine minced chicken with aromatic spices, onion and ginger-garlic paste. Shape and cook – it’s that easy. No mess, no fuss and it’s packed with so much flavor!
Kebabs are traditionally cooked on skewers in a hot tandoor (Indian clay oven) over charcoal. But today’s post is all about cooking chicken kebabs without oven. I have mentioned two ways of cooking chicken seekh kebab without oven. Also, displayed below is a step by step guide on how to give the kebabs a perfect shape?
The finished kebabs are give a smoky flavor using “dhungar method. In this method – coal/charcoal is smoked to a point where it is red hot. Place this hot coal in a kadai/pan and pour ghee on top. As it starts to smoke, place kebabs and cove the lid of the kadai/pan. Let it sit for 5 -10 minutes. Smoke flavors permeate the chicken giving it a nice smokey (dhungar) flavor.
Another option would be to place the hot coal in a katoori, (small steel bowl) pour ghee on top and place the smokey katoori inside the kadai/pan. Cover and let it get smokey. Please be very careful while doing it indoors. If you are not comfortable please skip this step and enjoy the cooked kebabs as is.
Dhungar method is pretty common in Rajasthan. Chefs in Rajasthan sprinkle spices over hot coal to give that particular dish extra spice and flavor.
These chicken seekh kebabs can be cooked in an oven too. Place the shaped kebabs on a baking tray and bake them at 350 degree F for 20-25 minutes. Apply dhungar method to oven baked kebab – follow the above method secure the baking tray tightly with aluminium foil from all the corners and allow it to sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
Before we begin, a word of advice – keep all the ingredients ready before you start handling the raw meat. Wash your hands with warm soapy water after handling raw meat to prevent contamination.
These kebabs are practically healthy, oil free and prepared with just the right amount of spices. Drizzle some lime juice, sprinkle some chaat masala, garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy these yummy kebabs with chutney of your choice.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Chicken Kebab recipe
- 1 Lb Minced Chicken (450 grams)
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon each of Minced Garlic and ginger
- 4 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup Besan
- 1.5 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Green Cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon Kastoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon Red chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Butter/oil (for basting and toasting)
PREPARING THE MIXTURE
- Assemble all the ingredients....
- And dry spices..
- In a large bowl combine minced chicken, onion, garlic and ginger paste...
- Add all the spices one by one...
- Stir in chopped cilantro leaves, besan and mix until well blended.
HOW TO SHAPE SEEKH KEBAB
- METHOD 1- Wet your hands, take some mixture, fold in between your palm and keep pressing the kebab until they look like long logs.
- You can either put them on wet wooden skewers or follow the second method below.
- METHOD 2- Divide seekh mixture into equal parts.
- Cut foil in rectangles. Place seekh at one end.
- Start folding the foil as you work you way towards the end.
- Fold it firmly. Squeeze gently to secure the edges. Pinch the sides of the foil and seal it properly.
- Cut of the excess foil. Foil-wrapped seekh is ready. Repeat the process with rest of the seekhs.
- Boil water in a large pan.
- Boil seekhs in hot water until firm (appx. 3-4 minutes).
- Remove seekhs from water and allow it to cool completely. Discard the water.
- When cooled, unwrap the foil-wrapped seekhs.
- Perfectly shaped seekh kebabs are ready for grilling.
HOW TO COOK SEEKH KEBABS
- METHOD 1- Grease a heavy bottom kadhai, grease it with butter.
- Place kebab in the kadhai, apply butter on top and cover it with a lid. Maintain the flame on medium low.
- Turning occasionally cook the kebabs for 20 minutes or till they are brown from all the sides.
- Keep basting them with butter as you rotate them.
- METHOD 2- Grease a wire rack and place it directly over the small burner.
- Grill kebabs over direct heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through.
- If you choose to give it a smoky taste then follow the steps below. Heat charcoal on a cook top. Heat until its red hot...
- When they are red hot place them in a kadai...
- Add 1 teaspoon ghee on top of the hot charcoal..
- As the smoke starts to arise...
- Arrange chicken kebab on a wire rack and place it on the smoky kadai. Cover and let chicken sit in smoke for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove and arrange it on a platter.
- Drizzle some lemon juice on Kebabs and serve hot with mint chutney.