Had some leftover minced chicken (keema) in my refrigerator and cooked up my mom’s signature dish- Chicken Keema kofta Curry. A tasty yet flavorful recipe of chicken meatballs cooked in Indian gravy and flavored with aromatic spices. As compare to veggie kofta curry these ones are easy to shape and cook. Traditionally keema is made from minced lamb meat/mutton but here I have used chicken to prepare these koftas.
Chicken koftas are cooked in two ways- either they can be cooked the way shown below or can be cooked by tossing raw keema balls in the gravy. Either way is fine and keema balls are cooked thoroughly in both the methods and are super moist. These koftas can be prepared in advance and when you are ready to serve dinner/lunch (15 minutes before serving) toss them in gravy, give it a boil and served them fresh and hot.
Towards the end of the recipe potli masala was added to the gravy but that is totally optional. It can be substituted with store bought keema masala or even if you leave that out, it just fine. Only difference is that adding this spice flavor took the gravy to a different level and it ended up tasting like restaurant style keema kofta curry.
Chicken Keema kofta Curry
FOR KOFTAS - MAKES 12 KOFTAS
- 1 medium Onion grounded to paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 medium Tomato grounded to paste
- 1 small Tomato, chopped
- 2-3 pieces of Black Cardamom
- 2-3 pieces of Bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Potli Masala or Keema Masala (optional)
- 1/2 cup Cream or Thick yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil or Ghee
- 2 teaspoon Chopped Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Wash, mince and squeeze out water from the chicken. Chicken should be dry and crumbly.
- Transfer minced chicken in a big bowl and add ingredients one by one.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, spices and mix all the ingredients together.
- Make small kofta balls.
- This will make 12 koftas.
- Heat a non stick kadhai and grease it. Add koftas....
- Cover and cook them on low heat.
- Turn them occasionally and cook till evenly brown from all the sides.
- It will take 10 minutes on low flame.
- Chicken keema koftas are ready. Set them aside.
- Assemble all the ingredients for the gravy.
- In a kadahi heat oil or ghee and add bay leaf, cumin and black cardamom. As they brown up add ginger-garlic paste and cook for few seconds.
- Add onion paste and cook for 2-3 minutes. For me it was 2:30 minutes.
- Mix in tomato puree and chopped tomatoes, salt, red chili powder or degi mirch powder and add 1/4 cup of water and cook the masala on medium flame for 3- 4 minutes. For me it was 3:30 minutes.
- Add in all the spices, cream and cook for another 3 minutes....
- Till the oil starts to separate from the masala.
- Finally mix in potli masala or keema masala. Again this is optional.
- Add water and bring the gravy to a boil.
- Drop in cooked keema koftas, mix and give it a final boil.
- Cover and take the kadhai off the flame. Let the koftas soak in the gravy for 5-6 minutes.
- Chicken keema kofta curry is ready.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro leaves and hot naan and salad. The table is set... Enjoy!!