Incredibly delicious one-pot Cantonese Style Veg Noodles is a quick n easy recipe that comes together in less than 30 minutes. Perfect recipe for a busy weeknight – simple, gluten-free, healthy and full of flavor!
On my recent trip to Singapore, I ate Cantonese style veg noodles at a food joint, and the taste still lingers in my mouth. I loved the texture and the different flavors of these noodles where crunchy vegetables meet sweet-tangy sauces and create a lip-smacking dish.
Since then, I wanted to experiment and produce the same taste in my kitchen.
These noodles are different from the regular Lo mein noodles. Lo mein noodles are comparatively thicker in size and are simply tossed with sauces, and cooked veggies wherein Cantonese noodles are thinner and are pan-cooked before tossing them with crunchy vegetables and sauces.
This recipe is my version of making Cantonese style veg noodles, and I am making no claims of authenticity with this recipe. The original recipe that I ate at the food joint used oyster sauce as the base but to create a veggie version I have substituted oyster sauce with hoisin sauce.
Now on to the recipe!
Begin by boiling noodles as per package instructions. Cook until noodles is tender and al dente ( firm enough to bite). Drain and set it aside. Heat oil in a pan and add boiled noodles. Keep flipping noodles upside down until crisp and slightly golden brown. They may clump up, but no worries, later when tossed with veggies and sauces they’ll loosen.
Remember – before you begin cooking, have everything sliced and ready by your side. This dish comes together quickly, and you may not find enough time in between to cut or chop a vegetable. Store bought pre-chopped coleslaw can be used as a substitute for veggies.
Feel free to add some pan cooked tofu pieces to these noodles. Meat lovers can certainly add some cooked meat to add more flavor.
Pick vegetables of your choice like bell peppers, carrots, onions, broccoli, red cabbage or green cabbage. Thinly slice them up, cook them in sesame oil and olive oil for few seconds – do not overcook them, vegetables should still have a bite or crunch left to them. Add cooked noodles, spices, sauces and toss until well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
Top with some bean sprouts, green onions and enjoy a comforting and delicious bowl of wholesome goodness!!
If you happen to make this recipe, please leave me your valuable comments below!
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Cantonese Style Veg Noodles
- 1 packet Gluten-free thin noodles or thin spaghetti
- 1/2 cup Thinly sliced or shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup Thinly sliced or shredded Red cabbage
- 4-5 stalks of Green onions, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon Brown Sugar or Regular sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon Honey
- Thinly slice or chop veggies.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients listed under sauces and mix until well blended. Set it aside.
- Boil noodles as per packet instructions.
- Drain and rinse the cooked noodles in a colander.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add boiled noodles and cook on medium flame.
- Keep flipping noodles upside down until crisp and slightly golden brown in color. Set them aside.
- Heat sesame oil and olive oil in a pan. Add minced garlic.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add veggies and..
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add boiled noodles..
- Pour in sauce mix..
- Mix until blended.
- Adjust seasonings and..
- Enjoy it for lunch or for a lite evening snack.