Has there been a moment where you stare blankly into your fridge wondering what to cook for dinner tonight? Well, look no more and treat yourself to a yum and delicious restaurant style dinner with Bharwan Dum aloo recipe served with jeera rice and tandoori roti.
Baby potatoes stuffed with paneer, seasoned with spices are dum cooked in rich and creamy gravy. Undeniably tasty and delicious dish! Now that’s what I call a D-licious dinner. 🙂
RECIPE DETAIL – Start the recipe by peeling baby potatoes. You can use regular size potatoes, cut them in half and proceed with the recipe. As shown in the pics below, scoop out the center of the potatoes. Do not scoop too much, leave a little rim around the edges. I have used a melon scooper for this recipe but a spoon would work just fine.
Also check our no onion no garlic dum aloo recipe.
Reserve the scooped potato insides, we will use it as a stuffing along with crumbled paneer and spices. Instead of paneer crumbled mawa can be used along with boiled potato insides. Assemble ingredients for stuffing and stuff the cooked potato shells tightly with this stuffing.Feel free to add cashews and raisins to the stuffing.
Mise en place all done, lets prepare the gravy as mentioned in the recipe below.
Add cashew paste to give the gravy a rich and creamy texture. Once the gravy is cooked, pour water according to how thick you want your gravy to be. Bring it to a boil, add stuffed potatoes and simmer for another 15 – 20 minutes. Feel free to add cream, garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Bharwan Dum aloo Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR POATOATOES
- 7-8 pieces of Baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Paneer or Tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon Kasoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon Coarsely pounded coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds , crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil to cook potatoes
INGREDIENTS FOR GRAVY
- 2 medium sized Onions, pureed
- 1/2 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 2 small pieces of Mace (Javitri)
- 2-3 pieces of Whole Black Cardamom (Moti eliachi)
- 2 pieces of Bay leaves (Tej patta)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 cup Cashew Paste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder (adjust accordingly)
- 1-2 teaspoon Kasoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil/Ghee
- Wash and clean potatoes.
- Peel potatoes and dip in cold water to avoid discoloration.
- As shown in the picture, cut and scoop out the center of the potatoes. Reserve the scooped potato insides.
- Be careful while scooping. The shell should be thick.
- Heat and grease a pan. Add hollow potatoes.
- Cover and cook until soft and tender.
- Insert a toothpick to check if done. The toothpick should slide through smoothly.Set it aside.
- Boil or pressure cook scooped potato insides. Drain and set it aside. Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Combine boiled potato and crumbled paneer in a bowl. As per liking, you can add dry nuts to the stuffing.
- Add all the spices.
- Mix it well. Taste and adjust spices.
- Stuff scooped and cooked potato shells with this stuffing.
- Make sure to tightly pack the stuffing or else it will ooze out while being cooked in the gravy.
- Assemble ingredients for the gravy. This recipe can be prepared without onions and garlic - follow the link to no onion no garlic dum aloo recipe in the main post.
- Assemble spices.
- In a pan heat oil, add whole spices and as they start to crackle add crushed ginger- garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Add crushed onions and cook until onions are light brown in color. Add tomato puree and cook until oil starts to separate.
- Add cashew paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Add spices and give it a good mix.
- Discard the whole spices.
- Pour water according to how thick you want your gravy to be.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add kasoori methi and adjust seasonings.
- Add stuffed potatoes..
- Cover and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Keep turning halfway through the cooking time. Use a spoon or a fork to turn them gently.
- Feel free to add cream to the finished dish.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with tandoori roti, kulcha or steamed rice.