Bhindi also referred to as Okra is my family’s favorite vegetable – whether be kurkuri bhindi or baked bhindi, it’s their all time favorite. They can relish bhindi at any hour, just roll it in warm rotis and its their most preferred meal. Undeniably tasty and delicious recipe of bhindi stuffed with gram flour and spices and sauteed until tender.
Nothing complicated, simple recipe of bhindi cut lengthwise and then stuffed with roasted besan and spices. Later sauteed till tender and served hot topped with caramelized onions. I prefer a little crunch with bhindi so I add onions, but as per one’s taste onions can be omitted from the recipe. Very adaptive recipe add or subtract spices as per your taste.
The total cook time for this recipe is just 15-20 minutes but most of the time goes in cutting and stuffing the bhindi. But its worth the effort! Compared to all the hard work that goes in cutting and stuffing, it finishes up pretty fast – honestly I could not stop eating this until it was all gone!
Roasted besan/chickpea flour adds an earthy and nutty aroma to the spice mix. Toast besan on a low flame as it may get burn. Amchur powder can be substituted with chaat masala powder. Garam masala powder would be a great addition too, to spice up the flavor and gives this dish an extra boost of spiciness.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Bharwan Bhindi - Stuffed Okra
- 1/2 Lb Bhindi/Okra/lady'sfinger (250 gms. appx.)
- 3 tablespoon Besan (Chickpea flour)
- 2 teaspoon Coarsely pounded coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1.5 teaspoon Mango Powder (Amchur Powder )
- 1 small Onion, sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil
- Clean and wash bhindi.
- Trim the top and bottom..
- Slit it lengthwise..
- Bhindi is ready for stuffing. Set it aside.
- Assemble all the ingredients..
- In a kadhai dry roast besan on a low heat till it starts to omit its aroma and change color from yellow to light brown.
- Add spices..
- And mix it well. Allow it to cool down completely.
- Once cooled start stuffing this mixture in bhindi/okra.
- Each bhindi uses 1/8 teaspoon of a mixture..
- Stuff mixture in bhindi...
- It will take 10-12 minutes to stuff all the bhindi..
- This is what is left of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a kadhai..
- Add stuffed bhindi to the kadhai..
- Cover and let it cook for 10-15 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Meanwhile slice onions into thin strips..
- In a pan heat oil, add onions and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes...
- Add in the leftover mixture of spices and set it aside.
- Uncover and adjust seasonings..
- Add sauteed onions to cooked okra/bhindi..
- Mix it well.
- Enjoy hot okra with warm rotis. A great accompaniment to any Indian meal.